How to run CHKDSK on NTFS file system which crashes Windows?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by peter.capek, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. peter.capek

    peter.capek Guest

    I have a Win XP home system whose disk has been corrupted and which no
    longer boots (fails with
    "page fault in non-paged area", but the real problem seems to be a
    corrupted file system).

    I have a 2nd hard disk on which I installed a clean XP system. When I
    either boot from that drive with the original drive plugged in, or
    boot without the original disk and plug it in after a successful boot
    (they're both SATA drives, which are hot pluggable), the system
    crashes. In the "after successful boot" case, the system continues to
    run for
    about 20-30 seconds before it crashes while reading metadata from the
    old drive. I can never get as far as running
    CHKDSK, or Win Explorer, or anything else against this disk. Using
    PartitionMagic against it shows various meta data problems, even
    though the disk can basically boot. PM also says these problems can
    be fixed by CHKDSK.

    The trouble is that I can't run CHKDSK because Windows crashes (BSOD,
    as indicated above) as soon as the disk is accessible. So, my
    question is: is there a way to make the disk accessible to Windows,
    but not have it access it,
    so that I can run CHKDSK against it? Ideally, Windows would confirm
    that it is an NTFS disk, assign it a letter, and stop, so that CHKDSK
    could be invoked.

    I know from using PartitionMagic that the disk hardware is fine.

    Very grateful for any help..

    Peter

    peter.capek, Mar 30, 2008

  2. peter.capek

    philo Guest

    You can put the disk back in the original machine
    then boot to the repair console using your XP cd...
    then run chkdsk /r

    just note that since the drive is SATA you may have to load the drivers for
    the controller first

    philo, Mar 30, 2008

  3. peter.capek

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    Boot from the original WinXP setup CD and select the option which says
    something about "Repair using Recovery Console". This goes to a DOS
    like command prompt.

    Then run CHKDSK C: /p

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Mar 31, 2008
  4. peter.capek

    peter.capek Guest

    Philo, Galus --

    I tried this (just now again) and I can never get as far as a prompt
    to run CHKDSK. I can successfully load
    from a floppy disk the SATA drivers, but I get the same BSOD
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error
    before it gets to the prompt.

    Any other thoughts? I was hoping there'd be away to boot the clean
    disk, then mount the bad one without having
    WinXP start rummaging around in it, but there doesn't seem to be, eh?

    peter.capek, Mar 31, 2008
  5. peter.capek

    philo Guest

    Well the HD corruption might have been caused by a RAM problem

    Before you do anything else. try running a memory test

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    philo, Mar 31, 2008
  6. peter.capek

    Mara Guest

    Or he could try opening a command window and typing "chkdsk [drive letter]: /f"
    without the quotes. It will tell him the drive is locked and ask him if he wants
    to run it on next reboot, and he can say yes.

    But the above area is a common memory error. I just had it today on this brand
    new box, with one memory chip out of four being bad from the factory.

    Mara, Mar 31, 2008