    programs.) ?

    Thanks.

    Justin

    justin tyme, Dec 21, 2004

  2. justin tyme

    Dan DiNicolo Guest

    Dan DiNicolo, Dec 21, 2004

  3. justin tyme

    Pennywise Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:08:54 GMT, "justin tyme"

    |> Some months ago I installed XP(sp2) for first time. I installed it into it's
    |> own partition on E (D is used for Apps and Data) and kept WIN98 on C, just
    |> in case. I am now quite happy with XP and would like do delete WIN98. I do
    |> have PQDrive Image and therefore can copy a complete image of E.
    |>
    |> Can one,therefore, just copy E onto C and then delete E? Or does it
    |> require a reinstall of XP directly onto C (and the painful re-install of all
    |> programs.) ?

    Your suppose to be able to do this as XP isn't drive specific, (all
    paths start %systemroot%)

    You would delete everything 98 but keep the Boot.ini and edit it from
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="XP Pro" (E Drive)
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro" (C Drive)

    BUT I wouldn't trust it, don't delete your E drive until you get what
    you want.

    If you do xcopy E to C (while booted up in a Win98 boot disk)
    adding the line
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP Pro2"
    to the boot.ini will allow you to boot from both partitions.

    Blinky the Shark posted a link once that mention'd you shouldn't believe
    anything you get off the usenet - in this case, it holds a lot of truth
    :) - you takes the info and you takes your chances.

    Pennywise, Dec 21, 2004
  4. justin tyme

    justin tyme Guest

    Thanks to both of you. Very helpful.