How to retrieve IE favourites from slave HD after upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by CJ, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. CJ

    CJ Guest

    Hi,

    I have a PC that has had a new motherboard, processor, graphics card and additional HD
    fitted.

    The shop that did it needed to re-install the W98 O/S so they loaded this to the new HD
    making the old drive a slave. Of course the old drive had all the programs on, including
    MS works, games and Internet explorer.

    Now all the favourites, cookies are gone when IE is loaded. How do I retrieve the
    Favourites from the , now, slave drive D: so they become accesible from IE running on the
    new C drive?

    Also can I recover other software on the old drive without having to re-install all of it.

    Thanks in advance,

    CJ

    CJ, Nov 30, 2003

  2. CJ

    Harrison Guest

    The old favorites folder is located at D:\Windows\Favorites.
    Copy the contents of that folder to C:\Windows Favorites.
    Forget the cookies. New ones will be created as you visit sites.

    Most programs will not function as a "transfer" and will have to be
    reinstalled.
    Browse the contents of D:\Program Files and try the individual .exe
    files to test them.

    Harrison, Nov 30, 2003