    Depot Prem High Gloss Photo paper (believed to actually be Konica).

    Olin McDaniel

    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Olin K. McDaniel

    Tom Guest

    You can't, at least to my knowledge, force a reset of the tank levels
    indicator (I have a S9000), nor is there any reason to.

    Unless the tank runs dry, the software "guesses" at the level. When the
    tank empties, however, the prism reflected light beam in the bottom of the
    tank causes the 'empty' indicator to come on which is replaced by a 'full'
    indicator when the prism light beam goes out (when you pit a full tank
    in)...

    But that does not matter. The ink levels are so easy to check visually,
    that relying on the indicator lights is not necessary.

    By the way, I found through MUCH use and practice that you get longer
    cartridge refill life if you refill before the tank completly empties
    anyway. Also, try and keep the tanks upright as one of the tank failure
    modes is to clog the vent breather on the top of the tank with dried ink.

    I have had tanks last through literally scores (probably hundreds) of
    refilling cycles. I tried to keep track of the number of refills per set of
    tanks once and gave up as it was getting rediculous.

    Tom

    Tom, Sep 24, 2003

  3. I believe there might be a reason, see further below.
    Well, the software "guessing" goes awry when it gets refilled without
    being reset, doesn't it?
    After you pointed this out, I tried checking them. And, yes, if I
    take a good flashlight to illuminate them from directly above, I can
    then see the liquid level. Otherwise, I must unlatch each one and
    lift it a small distance to see the level - this in a room lit with
    normal ceiling incandescent lighting.
    Good point re the clogged vent breathers. But your experience of the
    extended life is what I referred to above - this seems like an
    important reason to know the level is near empty before it actually
    reports it as empty, isn't it? OR is there enough left in the sponge
    to avoid problems if refilled promptly after notification?
    Thanks for your insight and experience. As noted in my original post,
    I'm using a Canon printer for the first time, all my previous ones
    were HP.

    Olin

    To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address

    Olin K. McDaniel, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Olin K. McDaniel

    Tom Guest

    Yes it does, but as I said... so what?
    Forget the flashlight. It takes about two seconds to pop a tank out, look
    at it and pop it back. You want to refill before they get empty anyway.

    You will find with experience that the PM and PC tanks are the ones that run
    out the quickest.

    Correct, so check them visually, refilll before they get empty. Simple.

    Tom

    Tom, Sep 24, 2003