How to rescue a damaged RAR archive file?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pg, Nov 19, 2008.

  1. pg

    pg Guest

    Years ago, when win98 and floppy disks were the "IN" thing, I saved my
    collection of fun softwares on floppy disks.

    First I archived them using RAR, and then split the big file into
    1.4MB sized smaller files.

    Just yesterday I found the stack of floppies, all together 23 of them.

    Of the 23 disks, 21 of them can be successfully read. The other two
    disks, dead. Couldn't be read.

    That means I am left with 21 parts of a 23-part rar archive.

    Is it possible to extract as much of those precious little programs as
    possible, from the remaining 21 parts of the archive?

    How to do that, may I know?

    Please help.

    Thank you all !!!!

    pg, Nov 19, 2008

  2. pg

    sittingduck Guest

    Extract with winrar, and check the option to "Keep broken files".

    sittingduck, Nov 19, 2008

  3. pg

    Clogwog Guest

    Try this first: http://www.009soft.com/products/floppy-zip-disk-rescue.htm
    http://www.downloadatoz.com/badcopy-pro/

    Clogwog, Nov 19, 2008
  4. pg

    chuckcar Guest

    You could do it manually. This is all assuming that the two unreadable
    disks are the *last* two of course, not the first or somewhere in the
    middle. First you copy the 1.4 meg parts into 21 different files in one
    directory. Next you concatenate them together - copy/b will work - into
    one file. Next open that file with winrar. Skip past the error messages
    and *if* you're still in the file, then do a tools->repair. This won't
    work on a multiple volume archive, hence the reason for the concatenation.
    You *must* concatenate them in order obviously.

    chuckcar, Nov 19, 2008
  5. pg

    pg Guest

    The two damaged disks are the 12th disk and the 19th disk.

    Even testing the archive failed --- winrar keep asking for the 12th
    and the 19th parts.

    Shooooooot !!

    Looks like I'm fried !!!!

    pg, Nov 19, 2008
  6. pg

    chuckcar Guest

    Then only do up to the 11th part *as* one file. It *has* to all be copied to one file or it won't work at all period.

    Dos is your friend:

    copy/?

    Alternatively, you add to the extensions. The first file
    being XXX.rar.001 second XXX.rar.002 and then use hjsplit
    to join them for you. But you *have* to stop at the 11th part.

    http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit

    chuckcar, Nov 20, 2008
  7. pg

    Russg Guest

    I don't know about RAR archives, but there are some
    tools you might use to recover the RAR files on the
    effected floppies. ANADISK may be available,
    it is a powerful tool for analyzing and repairing floppy
    disks. Don't use it from a XP C: prompt, boot from
    a win98SE boot floppy, then run ANADISK. ANADISK wasn't/isn't a free
    program, but you may
    find it GOOGLE. Also, your 98SE boot floppy has
    SCANDISK on it. You can determine if the disks
    have defective sectors with that.

    Russg, Nov 20, 2008
  8. pg

    doS Guest

    dumbass its already determined the floppies are damaged.

    doS, Nov 21, 2008