    bolt in and plug back in?

    Where can I get detailed instructions?

    Thanks.

    The Lone Weasel, Dec 24, 2008

  2. The Lone Weasel

    Mike Easter Guest

    The Lone Weasel wrote:

    Reading and posting to usenet groups via GG has a lot of disadvantages.

    Subject: How to replace motherboard dell optiplex gx 270
    Does this question mean that Dell has provided you with an identical mobo
    for the optiplex gx270, or does this question mean that you think there is
    something wrong with your gx270 mobo and you are looking to replace it
    with some other mobo?
    The gx270 is a SFF smallformfactor of a proprietary mfr. If you don't
    have a dell replacement mobo, you are going to have a hard time. Here is
    a diagram of the inside of your case and the system board from dell
    http://snipurl.com/93657 Dell OptiPlex GX270 Systems User's Guide -
    Inside Your Computer - System Board Components

    Mike Easter, Dec 24, 2008

  3. No choice. Thanks for your post.

    The Lone Weasel, Dec 25, 2008
  4. I broke the prongs on the battery socket and thought I might save
    money by replacing the MB with a used or refurbished motherboard,
    found some on eBay for $30-90. Found one sold by Dell for $150. If
    it's just unplugging and plugging in I can handle it, if there's
    soldering I probably couldn't do that.
    Thanks.

    The Lone Weasel, Dec 25, 2008
  5. No, I'm replacing the HDD. The old one is defective.
    Yes, Windows XP Pro. I bought the computer refurbished but no XP disk
    was provided. I found & bought some boot disk software that I want to
    use w/ an external HDD to try and recover the full contents of the old
    HD and hopefully copy that onto the new one. I read someplace that
    can be done, but I don't know if that's true.
    Nope.

    The Lone Weasel, Dec 25, 2008
  6. The Lone Weasel

    chuckcar Guest

    Hmm. Replacing yourself for free running the risk of having to shell out
    another several hundred dollars if you mess up vs. spending that now to
    have someone who *knows* how to do it properly and will. No you're right,
    there *is* no choice. Quick question: where did you buy your groundstrap?
    If you don't know what *that* is, don't even try.

    chuckcar, Dec 25, 2008
  7. If I ever need your conceit to fix my computer I'll let you know.

    Yours truly,

    The Lone Weasel

    The Lone Weasel, Dec 25, 2008
  8. The Lone Weasel

    Mike Easter Guest

    Don't close the door on replacing (or fixing) the battery clip. Soldering
    a mobo is a 'bad idea', but if you had a new clip you might work around
    the mobo connxn.

    http://www.pcguide.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-949.html Broken CMOS
    battery clip -- multi-layer PC boards can be damaged by resoldering ...
    buy a battery holder ...
    http://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=3V-MHW ($1.48 battery holder)
    .... <story involves alligator clip>

    Here's an even easier story, where a guy fixed his mobo broken battery
    clip by gluing in the battery http://snipurl.com/93why Thanks to your
    help ... some hot glue and a short piece of copper wire, everything is
    back to working order. -- With the battery sitting in place (and a little
    pressure added to it, I ran a bead of hot glue around the edges, securing
    the battery in place (none of the glue got on the board!). Next I drilled
    a small hole in the plastic holder, adjacent to the stub of the
    retaining/ground clip, inserted a piece of (bare) copper wire and bent it
    down to make max contact with the battery top, then hot glued that sucker
    to the top of the battery. Ta da. I powered up, set the clock, shut down
    and walked away for a few hours. When I brought it back up, the date had
    been retained. I'm assuming all is ok.

    Mike Easter, Dec 25, 2008
  9. The Lone Weasel

    Mike Easter Guest

    I would definitely not spend $150 to fix that box. For $150 you could
    find a much much much better machine which someone else is 'thru' with'
    because they've acquired newer equipment.

    I'm also looking at the 'good U1324 deals' on ebay. In your situation,
    you don't even need a board populated with ram or cpu. There are a fair
    number of prices around $70. I'm also not sure I would spend $70 plus
    shipping on that box. You have to be careful about 'sentiment' here and
    spending 'good money after bad'.
    Since you are shopping, your best price is going to be without cpu or ram,
    so you will need to remove the cpu and its cooler, which dell shows you
    how to do here with illustrations
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx270/en/ug/sdprocsr.htm
    Removing the Microprocessor

    Mike Easter, Dec 25, 2008
  10. The Lone Weasel

    Mike Easter Guest

    Wait a minute. You are fixing a GX270 with a b0rken (part on) the mobo
    which also has a b0rken hdd which you are wanting to replace? That
    doesn't seem like a good project.

    It would be better to spend your money on another different used computer
    or build your own out of used pieces and parts.
    .... and you have no MS install disk and you are wanting to recover the OS
    off the old disk which you are calling 'defective' whatever that means?

    This is a bad project. You need to find a good deal on an equivalent or
    better box for a lot less money and time than you are getting ready to
    spend. Then you will only be left with whatever difficulty there is in
    recovering anything you might want from whatever kind of problem the hdd
    has. Some hdd problems are not recoverable.

    Mike Easter, Dec 25, 2008
  11. Looks like you may be right.
    You're right.

    Merry Christmas.

    The Lone Weasel, Dec 25, 2008
  12. The Lone Weasel

    Mike Easter Guest

    Hey, that was too easy :) I was just getting ready with some more
    arguments.

    The small desktop GX270 typically came with a P4/Celeron 2.6 ghz w/ 512
    ddr ram w/ 40G ATA hdd and integrated sound, ethernet, and maybe
    graphics - else an AGP card. That model can't take a normal height AGP
    (needs low profile) or PCI card (needs half height), there's no PCI-E, and
    the PSU is (only) 210watts and it has a total of just 2 bays, 1x 3.5 & 1x
    5.25. Good news is that the mobo could handle up to 4G ram and the small
    desktop does have 4 slots.
    Rightbackatcha.

    You must also have another different machine that you are using here with
    XP + FF3 on GG.

    Mike Easter, Dec 25, 2008
  13. Yeah, when the Goptiflecks began clanking I bought an IBM Thinkcentre
    w/ 3GHz P4, 250GB HDD, DVD/CD/RW, it's very quiet, I love it even
    though it's about 4 or 5 years old. But this is the second time in
    the last 6 months I've bought a computer for a backup that became my
    main box through attrition, and now I don't have a backup. Based on
    my experience with this IBM I suppose I'll get another one...

    Santa's gettin' upset!

    The Lone Weasel, Dec 26, 2008
  14. The Lone Weasel

    chuckcar Guest

    I see no reason to give any to someone with such an overabundance of it.
    Hope you like wasting money, because that's what you'll be doing. You
    asked for advice, we gave it in no uncertain terms and then you changed
    your mind about taking it. Nothing else happened here.

    chuckcar, Dec 26, 2008
  15. The Lone Weasel

    Pennywise Guest

    Ground straps are over rated.

    I've never used one, and have a very good success rate.

    I was a friends house (it was a mess) crap everywhere, but when I
    stepped on the memory sticks laying on the shag carpet, I stopped to
    see what kind they were - Yes!, they would fit my computer, he gave
    them to me. I put them, in. they worked - I pretty sure I still have
    the computer still usable and all.

    Pennywise, Dec 26, 2008
  16. The Lone Weasel

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    Yeah, yeah. Ok. Do that with a processor chip sometime. I guarantee *that*
    will come out of it's socket - needfully or not. The fact is the OP isn't
    competent to be doing this work - he just doesn't know it is all.

    chuckcar, Dec 26, 2008
  17. The Lone Weasel

    Evan Platt Guest

    Ditto.
    But remember, there's only two ways - chucktard's way or the highway.

    Evan Platt, Dec 26, 2008
  18. Yer not a real tech till youve hot-swapped a disk drive :)

    Or any number of plugs, cables, periferals yer not supposed to...all for
    the sake of LEARNING.

    HTH

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 26, 2008
  19. The Lone Weasel

    chuckcar Guest

    Agreed, but until you don't break copper pins sticking out of
    motherboards, you go no further. Frustration can be very destructive as
    can be impatience. Neither of which are conducive to anything other than
    exciting light shows and early funerals.

    chuckcar, Dec 27, 2008