How to remove XP Media and do a clean install of XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MegaC, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. MegaC

    MegaC Guest

    Greetings all,

    I recently purchased a new laptop (Gateway 2.0 Gz with AMD Turion
    Processor). The problem is this new laptop comes preinstalled with Win
    XP Media Center Edition + all this extra crap from the vendor (trials,
    etc.).

    How do I remove this OS and do a clean install of Win XP Pro? Not as
    simple as putting the CD in and rebooting! Here is my dilemma. I
    set the BIOS so that the CD-ROM boots first, but when I put the Win XP
    disk in and reboot, the laptop ignores the cd-rom and boots normally
    into XP Media Centre. Furthermore, being it is a laptop, there is no
    floppy drive, so I cannot insert the 6 XP Pro setup disks (as I used to
    do on my PC to reinstall XP).

    I cannot think of any other way to do this. Can anyone offer me any
    advice?

    Thanks,
    Derek

    MegaC, Dec 30, 2006

  2. MegaC

    Vanguard Guest

    Your laptop is broken or has been purposely designed not to boot from
    CD. If your CD cannot be used as a boot device, you won't be able to
    ever install an OS of your own choosing.

    The hardware description of your laptop does not actually describe WHAT
    you are using. Give model number, something to let others really know
    what you are using. The CPU spec is meaningless to identify a
    particular make and model, like saying the perpetrator was wearing
    20-inch shoelaces in their shoes.

    It is very likely that you don't have a legit copy of Windows to install
    other than the license that came with the laptop. The laptop probably
    came with a "restore" CD that merely has a disk image that it will use
    to overwrite the partition of the hard drive to restore back to the
    factory-installed setup - and that includes all the crap that you want
    to get rid of.

    So what did Gateway say when you called them on why you cannot boot from
    the CD drive? After all, you did say you bought a *new* Gateway laptop
    so why aren't you asking THEIR support for help?

    Vanguard, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Probably you may have use a key to allow laptop to boot from a CD. Such as
    F4, F12 or other key. Have look at the manual that came with the machine.

    CRF

    Chris Fishwick, Dec 30, 2006