    Well, winter is almost at an end. I have a significant build-up of
    hardened salt crystals embedded in the carpets in my car. What is the
    best way to remove this stuff?

    DC, Mar 20, 2005

  2. DC

    cluedweasel Guest

    From http://www.saltinstitute.org no less;

    Removing "salt stains" from carpets - "Salt" stains are usually caused
    by calcium chloride and magnesium chloride, not sodium chloride,
    caccording to the Carpet and Rug Institute. Rock salt has small
    amounts of both of these salts imbedded in it. The problem comes with
    solubility. Patience and lots of rinse cycles are the key and
    sometimes calcium carbonate forms and this is fairly insoluble. Try
    to vacuum most of the dry residue off before using cool to warm water
    and a very small amount of carpet shampoo. Once the cleaning solution
    has been applied, allow time for it to dissolve the deposit. Blot, do
    not scrub, the spot. Sodium chloride is more soluble at lower temps
    than at higher ones. Then rinse with clear lukewarm water, blotting
    up the excess moisture and follow with another water rinse and blot
    dry. This should work. If not, try a cleaning mixture of 1/2 white
    vinegar to 1/2 lukewarm water, allow to stand 15 minutes and rinse
    with clear water.

    cluedweasel, Mar 20, 2005

  3. Move south...

    Cleburne

    Patrick Cleburne, Mar 20, 2005
  4. DC

    DC Guest

    Cool. I'll check that out.

    I'm also hoping for some first-hand feedback. I'd hate to ruin my car's
    interior -- I was hesitant to use warm water for fear that it would
    simply spread the dissolved salt water and increase the chance of
    rusting out the floorboard prematurely.

    I appreciate the help.

    DC, Mar 20, 2005
  5. DC

    DC Guest

    No thanks. I'm unarmed.

    DC, Mar 20, 2005
  6. DC

    cluedweasel Guest

    I always put some cheap rubber mats from Walmart in my cars at the
    start of winter. Then again, I'm just a smartarse.

    cluedweasel, Mar 20, 2005
  7. DC

    DC Guest

    I always put some cheap rubber mats from Walmart in my cars at the
    start of winter. Then again, I'm just a smartarse.[/QUOTE]

    I've got Pant Savers(tm) in my car, but no mat catches everything. And
    the kids can't seem to keep their goddamn feet on them. }:O)

    DC, Mar 20, 2005
  8. DC

    Jerry G. Guest

    Your method, is exactly what I have used, and it worked well for me!

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    From http://www.saltinstitute.org no less;

    Jerry G., Mar 20, 2005
  9. Sounds like you're talking about underwear... :)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 20, 2005
  10. DC

    Scraggy Guest

    We use a Wet and Dry Vacuum. Various vehicles over many years. Dry vac then
    carpet shampoo on the wet cycle.

    Scraggy, Mar 20, 2005
  11. Not to worry-- most bars and restaurants do a weapons check at the door. If
    you don't have a pistol, they issue you one.

    Cleburne

    Patrick Cleburne, Mar 20, 2005
  12. DC

    DC Guest

    Funny that you mention that -- a friend of mine went on a road trip
    through Louisiana and said the same thing after visiting some backwoods
    watering hole. }:O)

    DC, Mar 20, 2005
  13. DC

    DC Guest

    Thanks.

    DC, Mar 20, 2005
  14. DC

    Top Guest

    But Louisiana is a backwoods watering hole.

    If you move to Texas a rifle rack for your pickup is NOT and
    option - it's standard equipment.

    Top

    Top, Mar 20, 2005
  15. DC

    detailer

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Savage, MN
    Road salt buildup

    As an auto detailer, I could use 'opinions' on how to remove heavy road salt build-ups on auto carpets/floor mats.

    detailer, Mar 13, 2011
  16. DC

    FreeholdSue

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    This can be hard to remove, but you can start by doing the following. To continue these tips go to: http://www.freeholdsubaru.com/blog/...g-salt-stains-from-car-carpet-freehold-nj.htm

    Mix together warm water and white vinegar
    Vinegar, while carrying a strong scent, is one of the most powerful cleaning agents that you can find. If you don't have any spare white vinegar lying around, you can substitute in dish-washing detergent, but it probably won't be as effective.

    FreeholdSue, Jan 5, 2015