    I've rightclicked on them and I can shut them both off.. but I'd rather they
    don't come up in the first place.

    Thanks

    WeeWilly, Sep 14, 2004

  2. WeeWilly

    SwissTony Guest

    Open quicktime from start menu
    click edit-preferences-quicktime preferences
    At the bottom of the box that aapears it says "Quicktime system tray icon.
    Remove tick.
    click the cross in corner.

    not sure about kodak settings so u will have to do it in msconfig.
    Click start-run type in the box "msconfig"
    click the startup tab
    find the kodak one and remove the tick next to it.
    click apply then click ok.
    It will ask you to restart, click restart later
    Job Done

    SWISS T

    SwissTony, Sep 14, 2004

  3. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks SwissT..

    I should have said I have Quick Time Player v. 6.5
    I went, as you suggested, to QuickTime Preferences.. but there was nothing
    in the dropdown that had anything to do with System Tray.

    Any further suggestions would be appreciated.. Haven't tried the Kodak
    thing yet.

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Sep 14, 2004
  4. WeeWilly

    SwissTony Guest

    I have 6.51
    Make sure you didn't click player preferences instead of quicktime
    preferences
    check pic at link below
    http://snipurl.com/92bp

    SwissTony, Sep 14, 2004
  5. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks again for trying.. all I get at QuickTime Preferences is a dropdown
    box headed by Instant On.. and a box on the main Preferences page called
    Enable/Disable Instant On.

    Again, thanks for trying. I may just have to delete the whole program.. :-(

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Sep 14, 2004
  6. WeeWilly

    SwissTony Guest

    It could be that its not the full program anyway, just the browser plugin
    bit.
    You should be able to remove it in msconfig like the kodak one.
    I suggested the otherway, as the way i usually do it when i install QT.

    Swiss T

    SwissTony, Sep 14, 2004
  7. WeeWilly

    PK Guest

    Do not use msconfig. That is a trouble shooting tool and should only
    be used to identify a problem application that should then be disabled
    correctly.

    1. Look in programs under startup... Anything in there will open on
    startup (duh)

    2. If those items are not in the startup folder, then you can disable
    them by removing them from run in the registry. Need instructions?

    PK, Sep 14, 2004
  8. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Do not use msconfig. That is a trouble shooting tool and should only

    They are not in Startup..
    and
    I'm paranoid about the Registry.. so, yes... I'd love some instruction here

    I appreciate your willingness to help me.

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Sep 14, 2004
  9. WeeWilly,

    Use msconfig. Click the startup tab and remove the ticks for Quicktime & Kodak.

    Quicktime is labeled as qttask. I don't know about Kodak.

    Samuel Townsend, Sep 15, 2004
  10. @}-}-------Rosee, Sep 15, 2004
  11. WeeWilly

    PK Guest

    It is really quite easy on that part, but to be more comfortable and
    safe, you can download jv16 Power Tools version 1.1 from my site

    http://www.patrish.com/jv16pt_setup.exe

    This is the 2002 free version. The updated program for purchase is
    available at http://www.macecraft.com/

    You can click on registry tools, starting programs and remove them
    there.

    The tool has a lot of other options, including the registry cleaner
    (used to be called regcleaner) written by the same programmer.

    Or you can be bold........
    For editing the registry, there are two places to look

    HKCU and HKLM

    scroll down in each to
    software, microsoft, windows, current version

    Look at the keys:
    run services, runservicesonce, runservicesonceex, runonce, runonceex,
    and run

    when you highlight the "run" lines on the left, you will see none or
    some keys on the right hand side. For instance, tkbell is the
    realplayer startup key.

    Right click on the key in the right hand side and delete.

    If you delete the WRONG key, you will have another startup program not
    working, say, for instance, your video card or your anti-virus, so
    you'll want to be sure of what you are removing.

    This is the same place you will find many of the viruses keyed to
    activate on startup. It is a very handy location to know about.

    PK, Sep 15, 2004