How to remove crease from photo?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by krunch.kaptain, Mar 7, 2008.

  1. Hello,

    I have a photo that was folded in half, unfortunately,
    and I wonder if either Photoshop and/or The GIMP are
    able to remove this crease.

    Thank you for any assistance.
    krunch.kaptain, Mar 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. krunch.kaptain

    Jerrymander Guest

    1) Open a Photoshop or GIMP window.
    2) Carefully unfold the photograph.
    3) Tape it to your monitor with the picture side facing the monitor.
    4) In Photoshop or GIMP, select the Blur tool.
    5) Run the cursor along the crease.
    6) Carefully remove the photograph from the monitor, and the crease will
    be invisible.
    Jerrymander, Mar 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. krunch.kaptain

    KatWoman Guest

    IWO there is no automated one button fix using those programs

    however YOU can repair the image if you know how to use PS
    learn cloner and it's options and/or healing tools

    I don't know GIMP

    restoration is one of the more difficult tasks in PS and should be done by
    an expert if you want a professional result
    if you are not all that picky a repair by a beginner as yourself may suffice
    KatWoman, Mar 7, 2008
  4. krunch.kaptain

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    I have done what you wish to do in either Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. I
    forget which. It's been so long ago that I can't remember details. Play
    with it. You have nothing to loose.
    Ed Mullikin, Mar 7, 2008
  5. krunch.kaptain

    peter Guest

    I have a photo that was folded in half, unfortunately,
    Once you scanned it into the computer, it's easy to fix using the clone tool
    with the above apps.
    peter, Mar 7, 2008
  6. krunch.kaptain

    me Guest

    LOL. Obviously several other repliers, never really read the above!
    me, Mar 7, 2008
  7. krunch.kaptain

    Ken Hart Guest

    You have white-out spots on your monitor, too, don't you?!
    BTW, that's not a holder for your coffee cup...
    Ken Hart, Mar 7, 2008
  8. krunch.kaptain

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    peter added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    Having done a number of these as well as badly discolored B &Ws,
    the degree of crease et al has a LOT to do with how easy it is to
    clone. Sometimes, the best one can do is blur it some and hope for
    the best. I suppose the OP could post their picture(s) to some
    binary NG so people could take a crack at fixing them ...
    HEMI-Powered, Mar 7, 2008
  9. krunch.kaptain

    Charles Guest

    Healing brush? Clone tool?

    Photoshop offers several methods to fix a crease.
    Charles, Mar 7, 2008
  10. krunch.kaptain

    Charles Guest

    Tape it to your monitor? Your attempt at humor is sad.

    Folks come here for help. Please don't prey on them.
    Charles, Mar 7, 2008
  11. krunch.kaptain

    Roy G Guest


    Why not go back to old fashioned ways.
    Soak it in water, with a drop or two of detergent, for an hour or so.
    Put it onto a flat surface and gently dab it with a sponge until it is as
    dry as you can get it.
    Put it between sheets of lint free blotting paper, with a weight on top and
    leave it to dry. They used to make special photographic blotting paper, but
    probably don't anymore.
    This should reduce the creasing considerably, with just a bit of luck.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Mar 8, 2008
  12. krunch.kaptain

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that Roy G wrote in article
    Or instead of blotting it squeegee it to a ferrotype plate and leave it
    till dry.
    Don Kirkman, Mar 8, 2008
  13. krunch.kaptain

    Roy G Guest


    I would certainly use a squeegee on it, to help flatten the creasing, but I
    rather suspect the OP might not have one, (suitable for photographic use),
    to hand. Too much pressure in the wrong direction might scrape off the
    emulsion along the line of the crease.

    He certainly won't have a ferrotype plate, but sponges and blotting paper
    are fairly easily obtained.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Mar 8, 2008
  14. krunch.kaptain

    Jeff R. Guest

    Ummm - a sheet of glass?
    At the very least, a "window".

    (Way back when I often dried prints on glass...)
    Jeff R., Mar 8, 2008
  15. krunch.kaptain

    livagain1 Guest

    use the clone tool to remove the crease in photoshop (not sure if it's
    available in GIMP,) I use Serif's photoplus which has the clone tool
    it is a lot less expensive then photoshop. [email protected]
    livagain1, Mar 8, 2008
  16. krunch.kaptain

    Ken Hart Guest

    Your procedure is generally good, but I would add a first step: Make the
    best possible copy of the damaged picture, whether it be a scan or a
    photogrpahic negative.
    It's possible that soaking it will have no ill effect on the photo, and will
    soften the emulsion and base sufficiently that the crease can be flattened
    out. It's also possible that the soaking will destroy the photo.
    Ken Hart, Mar 8, 2008
  17. krunch.kaptain

    tech.kyle Guest

    I tried that, but I can't seem to find the ANY key...
    where is that thing!?
    tech.kyle, Mar 8, 2008
  18. krunch.kaptain

    Bob Williams Guest

    Easy as pie. I do it all the time.
    With Photoshop or Photoshop Elements,
    1.) Select the clone tool, set at 100% opacity and check "aligned" box.
    2.) Enlarge the image to 300% so you can easily see what you are doing.
    3.)Select a SOFT brush with a size slightly larger than the width of the
    crease. (Try 7-10 pixels for starters).
    4.)Alt click on a "clean" spot very close to the crease.
    5.)Drag your brush down the middle of the crease and it will magically
    You will have to "play around" with the process if the crease has many
    limbs, but this is the general idea........Good luck.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Mar 8, 2008
  19. krunch.kaptain

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Perhaps, before soaking, etc, try placing it inside a book and leaving it
    for a couple of days / weeks. Adding more books on top adds weight and
    improves flattening affect.

    If this works, it removes the possibility of water damage...

    Good Luck,
    Dudley Hanks, Mar 8, 2008
  20. Good advice, Roy, but I'd add one thing: instead of just any detergent,
    which might have damaging chemicals, use a drop of Kodak PhotoFlo in about a
    quart of water. PhotoFlo is the closest thing to a "neutral" detergent as
    you can easily get.

    -- Theo, the big bipolar bear
    Ursus Californicus, Mar 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.