How to remove BOOT variable (Cat 6500 IOS)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Patrick M. Hausen, Jul 1, 2011.

  1. Hi, all,

    we just bought two refurbished Catalyst 6500 switches
    which work fine except one minor problem.

    One of the switches sticks at the rom monitor, when
    powered on or reloaded. The error message is

    Autoboot: failed, BOOT string is empty

    Now I know that I could point the switch to boot from
    a particular image like this

    boot system flash <name of image>

    But I'd rather have these rom mon environment variables
    removed completely, instead of set to a specific value,
    so the switch will always boot the first image it finds.

    I didn't find a way to clear these variables - neither
    from IOS (tried no boot system ...) nor from rom mon.

    Shortly, what I want is this:

    core2#show bootvar
    BOOT variable does not exist
    CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
    BOOTLDR variable does not exist
    Configuration register is 0x2102

    instead of this:

    core1#sh bootvar
    BOOT variable =
    CONFIG_FILE variable =
    BOOTLDR variable =
    Configuration register is 0x2102

    Any hints on how to achieve this? The first output is from
    the switch that boots just fine without an explicit image
    specification.

    Thanks,
    Patrick

    Patrick M. Hausen, Jul 1, 2011