How to reformat NTSC formated SATA drive from WIN ME on ATA IDE master

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TJ, May 31, 2007.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    Advice please.

    Just bought an 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA HDD - shows on BIOS as
    Master IDE Channel 2. This drive was FDISK and formatted in NTSC.

    Have WIN ME on an ATA Maxtor 20GB drive (Master on Channel 0)

    When WIN ME boots, the NTSC 80GB drive doesn't show

    I was hoping to reformat it using MAXBLAST 3. But will have to use
    DOS. Problem is the 80Gb disk doesn't even show when boot with startup
    disk in DOS.

    Manual in SATA drive ssays it doesn't need or use jumpers. But I see
    there is a tiny jumper on two of the for pins beside the power cable.
    What are these for?

    Thanks in advance
    TJ

    TJ, May 31, 2007

  2. TJ

    olfart Guest

    SATA drive on IDE ?????

    olfart, May 31, 2007

  3. TJ

    Meat Plow Guest

    NTSC format ??????
    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, May 31, 2007
  4. You formatted your drive using National Television Systems Committee?
    How does that work?

    David Matthew Wood, May 31, 2007
  5. TJ

    Zephyr Guest

    It doesn't... I think that's the Issue,

    what he needs to do, is get a 1080i converter to allow him to run PAL on his
    SATA drive. (radio shack will have em) This will give him a RAID config
    screen allowing him to make it the Uber Master on IDE 1 Once done that, he
    can get a fresh install of ME setup and joyfully experience the crashes and
    hangs of the worst OS ever made.

    :)

    Dave

    ps... the only nugget of truth in my post is that ME sucked bad.

    Zephyr, May 31, 2007
  6. TJ

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Okay, now that you've taken a ribbing for some mis-used acronym, let me make
    a minor correction: it's NTFS, not NTSC.

    (And for the other person who asked "SATA on IDE?", yes, the OP is correct
    in using that term: SATA is IDE. Serial ATA vs. parallel ATA, but still IDE.
    See http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm.jhtml?term=sata IDE means
    "integrated drive electronics" and both SATA and PATA types of drives are
    IDE devices.)

    Don't use the DOS disk. Don't use FDISK. Using Maxblast, don't they provide
    an option to format the drive in FAT32? That's what you want to do, not DOS
    (DOS will have partition size issues.)

    If Maxblast doesn't handle it, make a Linux LiveCD and use the partioning
    software from that - I use Knoppix LiveCD, and I think the utility is called
    gparted (it's been awhile since I ran into partitioning issues, so my memory
    is a little fuzzy on the utility name.)

    WhzzKdd, May 31, 2007
  7. LOL!!

    David Matthew Wood, May 31, 2007
  8. TJ

    TJ Guest

    You formatted your drive using National Television Systems Committee?

    How does that work?

    Like WMD for GWB in Iraq: Mind over matter

    TJ, May 31, 2007
  9. TJ

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    It's NTFS not NTSC.

    Google for GDISK. It's the FDISK equivalent and will handle NTFS
    partitions.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Jun 1, 2007
  10. TJ

    Vanguard Guest

    Been too long since I had to suffer a 9x version of Windows. Doesn't
    its FDISK program permit the user to delete unknown partitions? If so,
    delete the partition, create a new one, and FORMAT (which will make it
    FAT32 if you select a partition over 32GB in size).

    Also, I thought the Maxblast floppy was bootable. You don't need a
    separate DOS. You get to use whatever Maxtor put in the image used to
    write the bootable floppy.

    We haven't a clue as to which motherboard you have (or brand and model
    if you bought a name- or no-name brand pre-built). For the BIOS to
    report that the disk is on IDE port 2 probably means they used a
    converter (SATA-to-IDE). Sometimes those work, sometimes not (and the
    data corruption is hard to point at the serial converter - until you
    remove it and use as a SATA-connected drive and the problems go away).
    If you have a SATA port, for sure use it instead of a SATA-to-IDE
    converter.

    Regarding the pins:

    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=2b089d2c3c90e010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    Notice the caption "factory use only". That means keep your fingers
    off! It's a good bet the drive came with a manual, even if an OEM
    version. RTFM!!! It says, "It is not necessary to set any jumpers,
    terminators, or other settings on this drive for proper operation. The
    jumper block adjacent to the SATA interface connector on SATA 150MB/s
    drives is for factory use only."

    Vanguard, Jun 1, 2007
  11. TJ

    Tester Guest

    I think you mean NTFS, NT File System.

    NTSC is the analog color TV standard in the U.S., Canada and Japan,
    among other places. (like PAL in the UK or SECAM in France) It goes
    back to the RCA standard and a big factor was that it allowed the
    large installed base of monochrome TV receivers to be used with the
    new color broadcasts. It stands for "National Television Standards
    Committee" although some wags have claimed it stands for "Never the
    Same Colors".

    As for your problem, here are some links from a Google search on ntfs
    to fat32.

    http://faq.arstechnica.com/link.php?i=1820

    http://www2.ntcompatible.com/thread18987-1.html

    It looks like you can use Partition Magic or perhaps a competitor or
    you can fdisk the old partition away and then recreate it as an
    ME-readable FAT32 partition and format. The trouble with the latter is
    that you lose all the old data.

    Tester, Jun 1, 2007