how to recover data from formatted hard disk

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by sweet_techie, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. sweet_techie

    sweet_techie Guest

    Hi,

    I have landed into a big mess. I was trying to install Manadrek Linux
    on my desktop that had 2 hardisks. One had WinXP(HDD1) and the other
    had some Linux version(HDD2) which i wanted to remove.I disabled my XP

    hard disk and installed my linux on the other one. After the
    installation i realized somehow even though i had disabled my XP hard
    drive Linux formatted my XP hard drive(HDD1) instead of Linux(HDD2).
    Now, all my data is gone since i also used that hard drive to backup
    all my data recovering the data is extreamly important.
    Can someone please help me understand, is there a way to recover my
    data(as linux has created partions on it) and if yes, then what are the

    possible options and steps?
    Any suggestions about a good data recovery software would also be
    extreamly helpful.

    sweet_techie, Mar 6, 2006

  2. sweet_techie

    Sharky Guest

    Use something like EasyRecovery Datarecovery.
    I used it last week on a drive that used to have XP+NTFS on it and had
    been formatted with ME+FAT32 by the user - recovered over 3gb of data
    with very few file errors.
    Data is only generally lost where something new has been written over
    the part of the disc where your files were, so you should have a good
    chance of recovering some/all of it.

    Sharky, Mar 6, 2006

  3. sweet_techie

    Trax Guest

    |>Hi,
    |>
    |>I have landed into a big mess. I was trying to install Manadrek Linux
    |>on my desktop that had 2 hardisks. One had WinXP(HDD1) and the other
    |>had some Linux version(HDD2) which i wanted to remove.I disabled my XP
    |>
    |>hard disk and installed my linux on the other one. After the
    |>installation i realized somehow even though i had disabled my XP hard
    |>drive Linux formatted my XP hard drive(HDD1) instead of Linux(HDD2).
    |>Now, all my data is gone since i also used that hard drive to backup
    |>all my data recovering the data is extreamly important.
    |>Can someone please help me understand, is there a way to recover my
    |>data(as linux has created partions on it) and if yes, then what are the
    |>
    |>possible options and steps?
    |>Any suggestions about a good data recovery software would also be
    |>extreamly helpful.

    http://riccardo.raneri.it/blog/eng/index.php/2006/03/02/free-tools-to-recover-lost-data/
    Shorter http://tinyurl.com/gkktj

    Might check out TestDisk from the above link:
    "TestDisk is a powerful data recovery utility! It was primarily
    designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks
    bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software,
    certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally erasing
    your Partition Table)."

    Trax, Mar 6, 2006
  4. sweet_techie

    ellis_jay Guest

    Thanx Trax

    --
    I don't know what's more pathetic, Jack Abramoff's sleaze or Republican
    paralysis in the face of it. Abramoff walks out of a D.C. courthouse in

    That's a great G.O.P. talking point: some Democrats are so sleazy, they
    get involved with the likes of us.

    _______David Brooks

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Mar 10, 2006