    WinXP Pro

    I need to password protect my printer, not just my XP user account.

    Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    ~~AAJakeleg, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Bebop & Rocksteady, Jul 30, 2003

  3. ~~AAJakeleg

    Cubzilla Guest

    Sorry to ask by why the password ?

    Cubzilla, Jul 30, 2003
  4. Galfant asked wistfully...

    || And I plonked you.

    That figures, I always had you down as plonker.

    || "PLONK"

    *plank*

    --

    Gazwad

    Freelance scientist and people tester.
    Guardian: alt.os.windows-xp
    Moderator: alt.warez.uk

    http://angry.at/gazwad
    http://gazwad.servebeer.com

    Lord Gazwad of Grantham - MVP \(Special Faeces\), Jul 30, 2003
  5. ~~AAJakeleg

    ~~AAJakeleg Guest

    To keep people from printing without my permission.

    ~~AAJakeleg, Jul 30, 2003
  6. ~~AAJakeleg

    paul s Guest

    Hide the ink-cartridges?

    paul s, Jul 30, 2003
  7. no, take the fuse out of the plug and hide all your fuses (if it has one).
    :)

    Kolicha \(vinnieza & gio\), Jul 30, 2003
  8. ~~AAJakeleg

    Kráftéé Guest

    Turn the darn thing off............

    Kráftéé, Jul 30, 2003
  9. Lord Gazwad of Grantham - MVP \(Special Faeces\), Jul 30, 2003
  10. * Hide the power cable to the printer.(Most can be disconnented quickly and
    easily hell even my big network xerox printer can.)

    * Tell who ever you wnat to stop using the printer to stop using the printer.

    * Disconet the network cable

    * Install a second driver for the printer. But the settings are wrong and
    doesn't print. set as default printer. (You have to remember to switch
    printers)Causes confusion amoungst the troops...

    * Charge for every page that is printed. (doc pay.. or pocket money)\

    * Switch your system off when you ain't there and switch on bios boot
    password.

    * In the printers folder right click on the printer > properties > security>
    remove the "Everyone" group also remove any other you don't need.

    Don't know... need more info on your system is it networked switch off file
    sharing and printer file sharing from network settings

    Is it a home thing for kids... Give them a kick up the ass if they keep doing
    it. Limit computer use. doc pocket money and another kick up the ass.

    what type of printer?
    Is a network printer?
    Is it for work enviroment?
    Is it for home enviroment?

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Jul 31, 2003
  11. ~~AAJakeleg

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jul 31, 2003
  12. ~~AAJakeleg

    ~~AAJakeleg Guest

    It's a printer in my home room that my roommates are coming in and using.
    It's too hard to hide cables, and I can't lock my room. I want to just
    require a password to print.

    It's an HP932.

    ~~AAJakeleg, Jul 31, 2003
  13. do you want them to be able to use the computer and not the printer or not
    use the computer with all it's software? if not use the computer password
    protect your account so when they switch it on they can't get on it.

    Kolicha \(vinnieza & gio\), Jul 31, 2003
  14. ~~AAJakeleg

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kolicha (vinnieza & gio) said:
    Printer, he wants to password the printer.
    Hence the subject "How to password a printer".

    Brian H¹©, Jul 31, 2003
  15. go to: http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6419.asp#120 (what
    ever it is)
    (found on google)
    hope this helps

    Kolicha \(vinnieza & gio\), Jul 31, 2003
  16. ~~AAJakeleg

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kolicha (vinnieza & gio) said:
    Taken from the link you didn't check before posting

    NOTE

    Protecting a printer with a password is possible only in Windows Me and Windows
    98 SE.
    To password-protect a printer in Windows Me or Windows 98 SE, follow these
    steps:

    Brian H¹©, Jul 31, 2003
  17. Methinks 'Kolicha' must be a BrainH sock. It's sure goofy enough...

    --

    "It's amazing I won. I was running against
    peace, prosperity, and incumbency."

    Doctor Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 1, 2003