    denies to open files with name. I think this can become possible, if
    we can make it as opening in the separate instances for wach file. How
    to achieve this ?

    bas, Feb 1, 2008

  2. bas

    samuel Guest

    s.com:
    slightly change the name of one of files ?

    samuel, Feb 1, 2008

  3. bas

    why? Guest

    Start / All Programs / Microsoft Office / Microsoft Office Excel 2007 /
    Office Button / Open

    Open the 1st file

    Start / All Programs / Microsoft Office / Microsoft Office Excel 2007 /
    Office Button / Open

    Open the 2nd file.

    Or if I was really having trouble

    Start / All Programs / Microsoft Office / Microsoft Office Excel 2003 /
    File / Open

    You could write a small Excel macro that when started, asks for 2 file
    names and open 2 copies of Excel.

    Maybe if the filenames don't change much, a batch file with something
    like

    <path to office>excel.exe <path to file1>
    <path to office>excel.exe <path to file2>

    For really clever solutions there are MS Office newsgroups for Excel.

    Me

    why?, Feb 1, 2008
  4. bas

    Phat Sam Guest

    Close the first File out, then open the 2nd file..... Unless you have
    to have both files open at the same exact time....

    Phat Sam, Feb 1, 2008
  5. bas

    thanatoid Guest

    oups.com:
    1.
    Generally speaking, with perhaps some VERY special once-in-a-
    lifetime exceptions, it is a very bad idea to have ANY files
    with identical names ANYWHERE on your system. Since the file
    names can be over 200 characters, it should not be very hard to
    come up with some variations. In fact, it could be fairly easily
    done even in the 8.3 format.

    2.
    Most normal programs will not open two different files with the
    same name, and most normal file managers will not manage them
    properly either. Just TWO of the dozens of reasons for 1.

    NB:
    "Normal" excludes all MS products, of course.

    thanatoid, Feb 1, 2008