    learned my lesson - won't bother trying to archive tasks with .pst files.
    Thanks in advance,
    hj

    hugh jass, Apr 9, 2005

  2. hugh jass

    riddick Guest

    http://www.mailnavigator.com/read_dbx_file.html
    http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm

    riddick, Apr 9, 2005

  3. hugh jass

    Old Gringo Guest

    By typing {opening pst files} in the address bar of FireFox, this is
    what I came up with in the blink of an eye:
    http://www.mailnavigator.com/reading_ms_outlook_pst_files.html

    Old Gringo, Apr 9, 2005
  4. hugh jass

    MrGrumpy Guest

    The pst can only be opened in OL.
    A pst created in OL2003, in unicode format, can only be read in OL2003
    To create a OL2003 pst in 'old' format you have to specifically create a new
    pst in the old format.
    OL can only open a pst that is saved to a hd, with read only flag off. - OL
    requires read/write permissions to a pst -
    To open a pst, within OL, File/Open/Data File (or Personal Folders pst -
    depends on OL version)
    If pst cannot be opened run the repair tool on it - scanpst.exe - you may
    have to run several times.
    Only one OL can exist on a sys.
    Do NOT overwrite any existing pst - Do NOT import a pst, open it within OL

    MrGrumpy, Apr 9, 2005
  5. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Thanks for this - though it looks like these links are for fixing corrupt
    pst files. This might be too much effort and not end up working in the end.

    All I want to do is find a 'text editor' that can read the pst format so I
    can retrieve the information I typed into it. Or, if not a text editor,
    then a workaround of some sort.
    A hierarchichal list in Word would be just fine.
    Any ideas anyone?

    hugh jass, Apr 9, 2005
  6. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Thanks for all the detail. The pst file was created in OLl2002, not 2003.
    Had no luck opening it in OL2002 or OL2003.
    Thnx.

    hugh jass, Apr 9, 2005
  7. hugh jass

    MrGrumpy Guest

    I'll leave the rest to your post in ms.OL ng

    MrGrumpy, Apr 9, 2005
  8. hugh jass

    MrGrumpy Guest

    There is no work around
    A pst can ONLY be opened in OL

    MrGrumpy, Apr 9, 2005
  9. hugh jass

    Gaz Guest

    You need to import it into a folder in Outlook, you can't just open it.
    Gaz.

    Gaz, Apr 9, 2005
  10. hugh jass

    * Guest

    MrGrumpy, <>, the anarchic, unhealthy sumo wrestler, and
    officer of the royal household responsible for the royal cats, whistled:

    So you can't open it in notepad then?

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    *, Apr 9, 2005
  11. hugh jass

    B0b Guest

    But the bottom of that link says

    "The format of MS Outlook mail archives (*.pst) is protected by
    Microsoft. Therefore, in MailNavigator, *.pst files can be accessed only
    indirectly, with the help of Outlook-OLE. In effect, a search of
    messages in Outlook folders is achieved by Outlook's own resources.

    To access a PST file, this file must be accessible from MS Outlook as a
    mail folder. It must be available for opening not only as an external
    file, but must be directly accessible in MS Outlook. In this case,
    MailNavigator will find the list of MS Outlook folders and the necessary
    folder can be loaded, or used for a message search. "

    B0b, Apr 10, 2005
  12. hugh jass

    lmna_360

    Joined: