How to move Windows XP COA from one case to another?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Nov 30, 2009.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    As per the subject line.

    I'm going to sell one of my desktop machines and I have a far nicer case I
    can put it in than the beige case with ventilation holes hacked in it that I
    was happy with....

    I can't get the COA off the old case, have already torn up one end of it a
    bit. Can anyone help please? Is there a way to do it that retains the
    integrity of the sticker?

    TIA,
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 30, 2009

  2. ~misfit~

    Cima Guest

    I've used a hair dryer & razor blade. Works ok as long as you take it very
    slowly with the blade ;)

    Cima, Dec 1, 2009

  3. ~misfit~

    Gadget Guest

    Hi Shaun
    I've had luck with a can of "Freeze spray" (CRC make one version, code
    2039).
    The advantage to this stuff is it freezes the glue which becomes non-
    sticky - peeling with a knife blade is then pretty easy.
    Once thawed, its as good as new-I've "restuck" to a case recently
    without any issues.
    Just be cautious: you can get frostbite if you inadvertently hit skin!
    Cheers
    -Darl
    PS Whatever happened to your old nim "Misfit"? <smile>

    Gadget, Dec 1, 2009
  4. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    Heat from the back with a hairdryer is what I did to get one off.

    I tried calling MS to ask about a replacement for it and just got the
    runaround between their scriptreaders so gave up on that.

    This was the older style ones without the hole in it, I dont know if
    those are any harder to do or not.

    Richard, Dec 1, 2009
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks.

    ~misfit~, Dec 1, 2009
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Cheers. It seems temperature change is the way to go.

    ~misfit~, Dec 1, 2009
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks -Darl. Another suggestion to try. LOL, I only have the one label to
    move though.
    Heh! I still use it in the "From" field to maintain continuity, I'd hate to
    be accused of nymshifting, I've been posting as ~misfit~ for well over a
    decade. However, since I outed myself a while back I sign posts with my real
    name. <shrug> I don't have anything to hide. <g>

    Regards,

    ~misfit~, Dec 1, 2009