    not have VS.Net 2003.

    thanks in advanced

    Adan

    Adan, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Had you built the entire solution with just the .NET SDK or a different IDE,
    there would not be a problem in just recompiling it. You would just change
    the software to point at the new compiler(s).

    Since you created them using VS.NET 2002, you will need to open your project
    (which upgrades it) in VS.NET 2003. Sorry - no easy solution.

    You bring up an interesting point - is it right for Microsoft to sell a
    development tool (VS.NET 2002) (it's an IDE - not a compiler) that cannot be
    modified to use newer versions of the .NET SDK software as they become
    available? Other than J# and some mobile development tools and slight bug
    fixes, what does VS.NET 2003 offer developers that VS.NET 2002 did not? Was
    it worth the upgrade in cost? What if VS.NET could be modified to use a
    different version of .NET? It ought to be. Maybe it is and I am unaware it.
    This was never an issue when the language and IDE were sold together but now
    they are separated.

    Microsoft was offering low cost upgrade processes - maybe bite the bullet
    and upgrade to VS.NET 2003 or start using a different .NET IDE tool
    altogether. There are many to choose from (some free).

    Davin Mickelson

    Davin Mickelson, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Adan

    Maria Guest

    I dont think MS overlooked this issue. Check out msdn
    topic: Targeting a .NET Framework Version

    Maria, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Adan

    Me2 Guest

    This also begs the question, what if you develop with VS 2003 & FW 1.1, yet
    your hosting company has not upgraded?

    Are you just as stuck?

    This new IDE is supposed to make things more seamless, not just hide gottcha
    seams!

    Ralph Page
    MBA, CMBA, MCDBA, MCSE, CCNA

    Me2, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Adan

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Are you just as stuck?
    Yes.
    Although they simply need to install 1.1

    Kline Sphere, Aug 8, 2003
  6. I don't believe Microsoft overlooked the issue. I think it is a marketing
    ploy to sell more software - specifically newer editions of Visual
    Studio.NET. Microsoft sells software to make money - I don't have a problem
    with that.

    Maria, the article you have pointed out shows how to make an .NET
    application/library that was compiled with 1.0 run against the a newer
    version of the .NET libraries, such as 1.1. Good article. However, it shows
    nothing about how to configure VS.NET to use the 1.1 versions of the
    csc,exe, vbc.exe, or jsc.exe .NET compilers that come with the .NET SDK. I
    strongly believe (perhaps I'm wrong) that the .NET language compiler
    developers upgraded the compilers for higher performance and optimization.
    Another reason to want to use the new compilers is to utilize new libraries
    only available in .NET 1.1.

    I recognized this need from using other IDEs for the Sun Java language. For
    instance, in the Borland JBuilder application, you specify the .EXE file
    that is the compiler you want to use. This allows the developer to have many
    different versions of the JDK installed on their machine but also gives the
    versatility to use the compiler of their choice. BTW - I'm an MS guy all the
    way and only use java to wake me up in the morning.

    I must also point out an important factor that you get with VS.NET that I
    failed to mention earlier - C/C++/ASM. VC++ is not freely downloadable from
    the MS web site. When you upgrade VS.NET, I believe you are getting newer
    versions the C++/ATL/MFC/VCRT libraries. Please clarify if I'm wrong.

    I believe Microsoft recognized that they needed to improve the IDE since the
    languages would be freely downloadable. They needed to compete against other
    IDE editors. I believe they have made vast improvements to the editor
    (compared to VB6, VI6, VC++6) and they have to continue making them better
    to compete. Organizations/Developers are purchasing the IDE blindly without
    realizing there are other IDEs quite comparable available at a lower cost. I
    think this will shift as people become aware of the possibilities.

    My two cents. Thanks for reading my opinions. I value yours.
    Davin Mickelson

    Davin Mickelson, Aug 8, 2003
  7. Adan

    John S Guest

    BTW - I'm an MS guy all the way and only use java to wake me up in the
    morning.

    Do you have a picture of bill gates hunging over your bed?

    John S, Aug 8, 2003
  8. Well, no, I don't really have any interest Mr. Gates. I have experienced the
    pain of Java development and wish to leave it alone.

    I did get to see his house from a tour boat on Lake Washington. I learned
    how he had the sand imported from another country for his beach, how the
    wood for his dock came from South America, and how he felt sorry for the
    surrounding neighbors having to put up with the noisy construction of his
    house so he paid off all of his neighbor's mortgages.

    I know John S is not an idiot and would have appreciated a valid comment
    from him. I also know he believes most people posting to the cert NGs are
    idiots. His postings often blur his discern from the others.

    Davin Mickelson

    Davin Mickelson, Aug 8, 2003
  9. Adan

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Well, no, I don't really have any interest Mr. Gates. I have experienced the
    Every one to their own.

    You learn something every day. Who said this ng does not contain
    meaningful information!

    I wish had lived next door to him!!
    I would tend to agree with him.

    Kline Sphere, Aug 8, 2003
  10. <SIGH>
    Agreed.

    Have a good weekend.

    Davin Mickelson, Aug 8, 2003
  11. Adan

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Have a good weekend.

    And you... Although I'll be working......

    Kline Sphere, Aug 8, 2003
  12. Adan

    Guest Guest

    Please disregard Kline Sphere/John S (yes both identities are for the
    same user)

    He/She is a Java troller....

    Guest, Aug 18, 2003