How to manage multiple sound sources

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by sofasurfer, Nov 13, 2007.

  1. sofasurfer

    sofasurfer Guest

    Motherboard-MSI Model MS-7325 w/onboard audio.

    I also have a Soundblaster PCI 512 sound card.

    I normally just use the PCI 512 (My on board audio is disabled in
    BIOS) for my music, video, tv card, etc. But
    now I also have installed Skype, a VOIP (Telephone over internet)
    device.

    The old setup worked fine with everything coming over my speakers.
    But
    now, Skype also comes over my speakers which is bad since it causes
    feedback though my microphone. And, when I play music, it comes over
    my head phone as well as the external speakers.

    I wish to have my normal audio come over the speakers only and I want
    Skype to come over my headphones only.

    I did manage to get the Skype to come over just the headphones by
    turning down my speaker volume to the "rear speakers" (I think this
    is
    how I accomplished it but not sure). But my normal audio still comes
    over my headset.

    I have now enabled to on board audio in BIOS and have funcionality
    with both cards but am unable to control things the way I want them.

    Can someone get me pointed in the right direction? Or if I'm thinking
    backwards let me know. Whats the best way to manage this situation? Do
    I need to go into advanced audio controls and change volume levels for
    the differant sources every time I use them?

    Thanks...

    sofasurfer, Nov 13, 2007

  2. I had a similar problem in the past, the only way to solve it is
    having two operating systems, one using one card, and the other using
    the other audio chip. In one system you disable one audio card and
    enable the other one, and in the other system is vice versa.

    This way you can use both cards but with different applications.

    Manuel Marino, Nov 14, 2007

  3. sofasurfer

    Brian O Guest

    Motherboard-MSI Model MS-7325 w/onboard audio.
    I'm not sure if it's equivalent, but I have a built-in sound card on my
    motherboard plus a sound card I added. I don't really remember exactly how
    I set it up, but each application or piece of hardware could designate where
    the output is sent. So, the output from the CD drives goes to the plug-in
    sound card and out the RCA jacks to an amplifier. The system sounds (for
    error messages, "you have mail", etc.) are routed to the motherboard sound
    card and to some small passive speakers. The small speakers are always on,
    of course, so I always hear whatever informative sounds that occur. When I
    want to play an audio CD, or WAV files through WinAmp, I get good quality
    sound from the amp and its speakers. I had to select the sound destination
    in WinAmp and in any other applications that produce sounds. It was easier
    than I expected and Windoze handled it all nicely.

    I don't know if my experiences help your situation, but at least some
    customization can be done.

    Brian O, Nov 16, 2007