How to make win98 run faster along with Winamp3

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ComeMon!, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. ComeMon!

    PhilGreg Guest

    ==> In addition to adding more RAM you could also use a process
    explorer to see what's really running in the background better than
    w/MSConfig. here's a free one;
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    Do some reading and add the RAM, prolly want to be up around 256, and
    you'll be fine
    HTH

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 28, 2003

  2. ComeMon!

    °Mike° Guest

    In context, Ralph, in context.

    Does ...

    "It's doing some hellacious math in the background to
    convert that binary data into something you can listen to."

    .... sound familiar?

    °Mike°, Sep 28, 2003

  3. ComeMon!

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    That's a Conner 420 meg drive :)

    -= Hawk =-, Sep 28, 2003
  4. ComeMon!

    °Mike° Guest

    I thought I recognised the tones. :)

    °Mike°, Sep 28, 2003
  5. ComeMon!

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    WinAmp 3 should be avoided. I use 2.91 and have a machine about on par
    with what you described - it works fine *IF* you quartersample the
    files (an option in WinAmp)

    [ Doc Jeff ], Sep 28, 2003
  6. ComeMon!

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    I'm amazed the stupid thing still works...

    -= Hawk =-, Sep 28, 2003
  7. Howdy!

    "It really depends on the software load."

    Besides, I've got MP3s running on Win98SE boxes with 64M.

    Winamp 2.91, and not much else running, true.

    But that's also on P2-300+ machines ... (one place uses streaming
    audio for its music-on-hold system)
    Sure does. And that obliviates my comment how?

    ('Twas mostly pedantic, true - but not ALL Win98SE installs NEED 64M
    to run.)

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 28, 2003
  8. ComeMon!

    °Mike° Guest

    " Mike - it really depends on the software load."

    This user has a 166 with Winamp 3, and goodness knows what else
    installed, not to mention that h/s thinks that it can automagically
    be "boosted"...

    <quote>
    Can't agree with your answer. It's MMX! even though it's just Pentium.
    There should be some way to boost up its performance
    Nobody said otherwise.

    °Mike°, Sep 29, 2003
  9. ComeMon!

    ComeMon! Guest

    Don't know about that! But actually I found my 98 notebook performs
    not so good also when playing with windows media player.

    ComeMon!, Sep 29, 2003
  10. ComeMon!

    ComeMon! Guest

    Fallback Winamp from version 3 to version 2. I used performance
    monitor to CPU usage before & after the fallback, based on counter
    'Kernel: Processor Usage (%)'.

    Yesterday night, when Winamp 3 ran, as I played the .mp3 files,
    Processor Usage = 100% all the time.

    The same result if I used Windows Media Player 7.10.00.3059 to play
    the same .mp3 files.

    This morning, when Winamp 2 ran, as I played the same .mp3 files,
    Processor Usage fluctuate between 25-40%.

    Windows Media Player 7 played again, Processor Usage surged to 100% at
    the begining then fell to around 65% to 70%.

    Will keep on monitoring how the players occupy CPU %.

    What I found special this morning is every time I started a new
    explorer window, CPU% surge 15-20% for a short while. Toggle between
    applications or explorer windows cause 5-10% surge in CPU%.

    ComeMon!, Oct 6, 2003