    file. Software such as CCleaner is help me much in running my pc
    faster. But i need much other software to make my pc run faster.
    Please reply me as fast as possible. Thank you

    Anime-GM, Oct 14, 2007

  2. Anime-GM

    Old Gringo Guest

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,116583/article.html

    Old Gringo, Oct 14, 2007

  3. Anime-GM

    Old Gringo Guest

    A little information about your PC would be helpful.

    Old Gringo, Oct 14, 2007
  4. Anime-GM

    rjdriver Guest

    Not sure what you mean by "without deleting my file".

    Assuming your question implies that your computer *used* to run faster,
    there are two main things that can cause a computer to run sluggishly (in
    the absence of any other symptoms).

    1. Not enough virtual memory.
    Open My Computer and see how much free space is listed for the C drive.
    If it's measured in MB, this could be a problem. Let us know how much. If
    it's measured in GB, you're probably OK, so go on the #2.

    2. Too many programs running at one time.
    When you boot up, how many icons are there next to your clock on the
    task bar? These are all programs running in the background using up
    processor power unnecessarily. Unless you have some special hardware
    attached to your system that requires a program running all the time to make
    it work, you should only have 3 or 4 icons. They should be an anti virus
    program, and anti spyware program, a firewall, and perhaps the volume
    control.

    Right click to find out what each icon is if you don't recognize it,
    and close any programs you don't need running. To keep them from starting
    on your next boot, click Start/Run, and type in msconfig. Click OK. In the
    window that opens, click the Startup tab. Uncheck any item that you don't
    want to start when you boot. Don't uncheck anything you don't recognize or
    are not sure what it does. Expand the Command column to help you figure
    out what's what. Typical culprits that think so highly of themselves they
    start at boot are Real Player, Quicktime (qttask), and a bunch of Creative
    apps from sound blaster sound cards (CTDetect, CTSMCgo, CTDVDDET, CTHELPER).
    Nvidia usually has few in the too for it's video cards (nwis, nvcpl,
    nvmctray).

    When done, reboot and see if you don't notice a little faster response
    from your system. If it's still not back to normal, it's time to look for
    spyware and trojans, which are also running in the background, only hidden.

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    Download, run the update, and do a scan

    Adaware
    http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
    Download the free version, update and run a scan

    Stinger
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    Download the latest version (no need to update) and run a scan

    AVG
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-virus/us/frt/0
    Download the free version, update and run a scan

    If it's still slow after this, let us know and we'll dig deeper.

    Bob

    rjdriver, Oct 14, 2007
  5. Anime-GM

    Anime-GM Guest

    Thanks for your help. My pc is runnig a bit faster than before but
    after i opened my pc for long hours, it start to run slower and slower
    already. My pc RAM is measure in MB because i didn't upgrade my pc for
    long time ago. Since i have this pc, i didn't much upgrade my pc till
    last week i bought a new monitor because the old one spoiled already.
    Icon that appear when i boot my pc are used by my sis such as LogMeIn,
    Active Virus Shield, Volume, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, Skype, and my
    connection. That all.
    This application will make my pc run slower??

    Anime-GM, Oct 26, 2007
  6. Do you, by any chance, use McAfee for your virus protection? I did and it
    slowed down my computer terribly. When I uninstalled it and downloaded a
    diffferent one, my computer picked up speed.

    Claire Brucker, Oct 27, 2007
  7. Anime-GM

    rjdriver Guest

    Uncheck MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and Skype in the StartUp tab as instructed
    previously. These can all easily be started manually as needed. Ask your
    sis if she still needs to log in to your computer remotely. If she says
    no, then uncheck LogMeIn also. If she says yes, you'll have to put up with
    that one, but it shouldn't use too much CPU.

    And now that we know you RAM is measured in MB rather than GB, if you
    have no plans to upgrade the entire machine, BUY MORE RAM. You will be
    surprised at the difference it will make in speed. Get at least 1 GB. Some
    programs tend to grab more RAM the longer you leave them open, that's why
    you notice it slowing down gradually after it was speedy when you first
    started it. Make sure you close anything you are not using. Some programs
    don't like to give up the RAM they used while they were open and are very
    slow to give it back. Having more of it will help alleviate these issues
    somewhat.

    Bob

    rjdriver, Nov 1, 2007
  8. Anime-GM

    Anime-GM Guest

    Because my sister she now working with a company which required her to
    do her report while she at home, so she can't uncheck LogMeIn.
    Then i should upgrade my processor or not? Because now i using P3
    only. If i wish to play 3D game, what i need to upgrade beside the
    RAM??

    Anime-GM, Nov 9, 2007
  9. Anime-GM

    rjdriver Guest

    P3 is already old technology in the PC world. I believe it maxed out
    at 1.4 or 1.5 GHz. You can play some simple adventure or puzzle games, or
    some of the 3d games that are 2-5 years old, like Half Life for example.
    For the newer action games, shooters, or modern RPGs, you'll need something
    over 2 GHz to play them smoothly.

    Many 3D games allow you to scale back the quality of the graphics and
    sound to help play them with slower processors. But you would probably need
    a new video card with your extra RAM to play them anyway, and the slot for
    video recently changed from AGP which you have, to PCI Express. So to
    upgrade video and RAM only, it would get you by for a while, but you would
    be investing in old technology, and only delaying the inevitable.

    That is the lot of avid game players, and I feel your pain (every couple
    of years!). If you didn't want to play 3D games, the situation would be
    entirely different. What you have now with a video and RAM upgrade could
    last for several years for normal PC use. But the newer games are very
    demanding. That means Pentium 4 or Core 2, or AMD Athlon XP or 64 X2.
    You'll also need a beefy video card to go with it, and probably 2 GB RAM.
    Since you'll need a new motherboard to use these newer processors, you
    should probably consider a whole new system.

    Bob

    rjdriver, Nov 10, 2007
  10. Anime-GM

    Anime-GM Guest

    Thanks for helping. That mean if i really want to play some 3D games,
    i have to change my whole pc?? My whole CPU?? That day i passed by a
    computer shop, the staff told me to buy a new CPU rather than
    upgrading my CPU. It that really necessary for me to do so??

    Anime-GM, Nov 21, 2007
  11. Anime-GM

    rjdriver Guest

    play, and ask them the cheapest way to get your computer up to the task. I
    would guess you'll have to spend at least $500.00.

    Bob

    rjdriver, Dec 1, 2007