How to make a link to a newsgroup post?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Wisnia, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    From time to time I find it useful to be able to put a link to a
    newsgroup thread in an e-mail message or a post to a different newsgroup.

    I've been doing it by going to the start of the thread in Google-groups,
    then pasting the URL of that page into my message after shrinking it
    through www.tinyurl.com.

    That seems to work just fine, but have I overlooked a simpler way to
    accomplish this?

    Jeff

    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    schools"

    Jeff Wisnia, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    °Mike° Guest

    Just use the Message-ID from the headers. For example,
    your Message-ID for this post is:

    To create the link, use "followed by the actual
    ID (without the < > marks), like so:

    °Mike°, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Consider crossposting instead of multiposting. Then, when people have
    read your post in one group, they'll be tagged as read in the other
    group(s), as well.

    (Poster's question has been well answered in at least one other group.)

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    I had received the distinct impression that crossposting was muchly
    frowned upon.....By the number of times I've seen guys royally flamed
    for doing just that.

    That's why I multiposted my post, but *only* to two newsgroups.

    My, you do get around though Blinky, quite unlike like that female Great
    White who was stuck in an inlet in Woods Hole (Taxachusetts) for the
    last ten days or so. <G>

    http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hsshar0929,0,6483346.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

    Jeff

    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    schools"

    Jeff Wisnia, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Crossposting to too many groups and crossposting to groups where the
    topic is offtopic is bad practice. But crossposting to a couple-three
    groups, and being on-topic is better than multiposting.
    See above.

    And this: http://kb.indiana.edu/data/affn.html

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 7, 2004
  6. I've read that a few sharks have been reported going upstream in some
    rivers, and chomping on the occasional land mammal like caribou that were
    wading therein.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 7, 2004
  7. Jeff Wisnia

    DC Guest

    The Greenland Shark. I believe I sent you the bookmark, some time ago.

    DC, Oct 8, 2004