How to make a bootable Ghost CD with Norton Ghost 2003

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by van, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. van

    van Guest

    Norton Ghost 2003 claims it can make a bootable Ghost CD
    automatically. From this link at Norton Ghost site,

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

    it says "When you use Norton Ghost 2003 to save an image
    file directly to a CD-R/RW disk, Ghost provides an option to
    make the disk bootable. If you check the option, Ghost
    automatically adds the necessary files to the CD disc."

    I tried but don't find this option anywhere during the
    process.

    I can make a bootable CD with Easy CD Creator and add Ghost
    images to the CD. But if Ghost 2003 claim it can make it
    automatically why not save some of my time. Whoever had
    experience with Ghost 2003 help me to find this option.
    Thanks.

    van, Oct 12, 2003

  2. van

    Tony Sivori Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 03:03:00 +0000, John wrote:

    > I've had problems making Ghost images myself. I'm not convinced that
    > it's a particularly good utility. (Another possibility is that the
    > people who create the images for me are making bad ones.) However, it
    > seems to be the only one out there that lets you create a disk image and
    > then copy it to another hard drive.
    >
    > Also, I've been led to believe that Ghost -- even the latest versions of
    > it -- do not work well with Win2K and XP. Has anyone else had problems
    > with it?

    I've had fabulous luck with Ghost, both the early 5.1 version and also
    Ghost 2003. In fact I've had only one failure (my fault) and after I
    learned to use Ghost I have not had to reinstall Windows since 1999.

    Actually, I did have to reinstall Windows 2000 this year, but that was due
    to replacing a failed motherboard (I upgraded from an aging BX chipset to
    a modern 845PE chipset), not a failed ghost restore. Windows 98SE took to
    the new board like a trouper, but 2K refused to cooperate.

    The one time Ghost didn't work, I was trying to use clone to make the back
    up and then clone to restore. Which is wrong. You must make an image and
    then restore the image.

    I've used Ghost with 98SE and 2K with zero problems, except for my own
    error noted above. I even got the 2003 Ghost floppies to work across my
    LAN, which did take some patience.

    I've recently migrated to Linux (buh-bye to Windows worms, viruses,
    Trojans, WPA, and the all-your-computer-belongs-to-MS EULA) and am using
    the ReiserFS file system, so unfortunately I can't use Ghost. It is one of
    the few Windows programs that I miss.

    --
    Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori, Oct 13, 2003

  3. I prefer PowerQuest Drive Image to Ghost. Both do pretty much the same
    thing. Buy a copy of the latest version of Drive Image NOW, becuase I
    believe that Symantec has bought PowerQuest.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 14, 2003