How to install Xp Pro x64 using MSDN DVD packs.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, May 31, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi!

    I just bought a new Campaq Presario V3149 AU with XP Media Center 2005
    Installed. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor. I need to use it for my
    development and also have MSDN subscription DVDs available with me.

    My question is i need to install Win XP pro x64 version on the laptop. How
    do I go about it?

    The MSDN DVD available with me (EN_OS_XP_2428.8) contains dump of 64Bit-x64
    XP Pro software. But when i try to install it through the MSDN DVD available
    it does not take the x64 key during installation but instead is taking the
    32-bit version's key.

    As I read through various articles, it seems that installing the x64 version
    is not the same as for 32 bit versions.

    Can someone help me out as to how to install the x64 bit version?

    Thanks in advance!
    Best Regards!
    Gaurav.

    Guest, May 31, 2007

  2. Guest

    Theo Guest

    Are you booting from the DVD or are you starting the Setup
    while in Windows?

    You must have a disc with a bootable image on it to boot
    from to run the setup for x64. The setup initialization
    puts the CPU in the x64 mode instead of the x86 mode.

    I'm not a MSDN subscriber, but I thought XP 32-bit and XP
    x64 were 2 entirely different packages. Win XP Pro x64 is
    based on Win 2003 Server, but is only published in the
    64-bit configuration.

    Theo, May 31, 2007

  3. There's a known bug with the MSDN DVDs and x64 - they don't work. You need
    to use the ISO DVD to burn an ISO image of the OS to a CD. MSDN includes
    both an ISO images DVD and the multi-boot DVD version. Locate the ISO image
    DVD that has XP x64 on it, and burn a CD from the ISO image.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 31, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Theo!

    I'm booting from the DVD which has a dump (not an ISO image) of WinXP x64
    version. The DVD on startup asks me to choose from Win XP Home, Windows XP
    Media Center, Windows XP Professional editions.

    Doesn't ask for any x64 bit config. As pointed out by Charlie there seems to
    be a bug in MSN DVDs.

    Need to look for ISO images, which from the Labels of the DVDs are not
    present in the kit. Will deep dive into contents of all & get back.

    Best Regards!
    Gaurav.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2007
  5. Guest

    Theo Guest

    I think the complication comes in because of the 32-bit and
    64-bit differences. I am not a programmer and don't know
    what it would take, if practical, to switch between 32-bit
    and 64-bit mode in the setup, but I know you cannot install
    x64 while in the 32-bit mode..

    Theo, Jun 1, 2007
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Charlie!

    I've scanned through my MSDN kit ans was unable to locate an ISO image of
    the WinXP Pro x64 bit version. Tried talking to the MSDN support team, which
    went into a long loop & chain of call transfers. Will try to get back to the
    MS team for the ISO image.

    In the meanwhile, I was able to locate an ISO image of Win 2003 Ent R2
    version and instead loaded that OS.

    Just wondering, now that I have a 64 bit footprint on my boot image, will I
    be able to install XP 64 bit? surely can try it out also, but don't want to
    avoid messing up the whole effort already spent on installing Win 2003
    edition.

    Thanks anywaz!
    Gaurav.

    Guest, Jun 1, 2007
  8. You should have it in there - I know I do. And if you can't find it, you can
    download it from the MSDN site.

    This will not change your ability to boot off of a DVD and run load the x64
    versions from it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 2, 2007