How to install WinXP on Win2k computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Voodoo, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. Voodoo

    Voodoo Guest

    How do I install the full retail version of Windows XP (not the
    upgrade version) on a PC that has Win2k Pro loaded on it right now?
    This PC has an OEM version of Win2k.

    Can I just put the Windows CD in and reboot the PC, or do I have to
    reformat the hard drive first, then run those 6 WinXP set up disks
    first before I use the CD. Or is there some other method. I wish there
    were some way to do this so that I can save some files, especially MP3
    files, that are on this computer. If I have to burn all of these files
    to a CD, it will take a long time and I will have to go out and buy
    some blank CD's, but if that is my alternatives to save the MP's then
    I guess that's what I'll do.

    Also, is there much chance at all that XP won't have drivers to
    support some of the hardware on this computer. The computer was
    manufactured in 2001. Or should it just work OK right out of the gate?

    One other thing. This PC that I want to load XP on has a Pentium 3 866
    MZ processor, 512 MB of memory, and a 15 GB hard drive. All things
    being equal, how do you think XP should run on this system?

    Thanks.

    John

    Voodoo, Mar 16, 2005

  2. Voodoo

    jda^fx Guest

    If you do not what to format because you have some files on the
    computer that you want to save you do not have to. Start the comp in
    w2k and put the XP CD in the drive. If it do not autorun, open it and
    doubleclick setup.exe. Then choose the upgrade option of the ones
    given. But it is nice to have a clean harddrive when you start with a
    new OS, so I would recommend the clean install way of doing it and
    formatting the drive. Even if you have to burn some CD's. Then you
    also get the opportunity to look at what is worth saving and what is
    not

    jda^fx, Mar 16, 2005

  3. Voodoo

    old john Guest

    if you start up in w2k, and then insert winXP disk it should open a screen
    which should give you the option to do a compatability check against what is
    already on your system, the list will help any further decision..so get back
    to us..J

    old john, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Voodoo

    Voodoo Guest

    I already tried that but all it said was that it didn't support
    upgrades from Windows 2000. So I guess that to make it work I have to
    uninstall the OS first?

    Voodoo, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Voodoo

    jda^fx Guest

    Is it the Home version of XP? because you cannot upgrade from Windows
    2000 Professionel to Windows XP home. Then you have to make a clean
    install

    jda^fx, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Atlas Shrugged, Mar 17, 2005