    mac internet explorer was actually pretty good in its day and much
    better than netscape was at the time.

    when apple released safari, microsoft ceased working on the product.

    Guest, May 14, 2014

  2. Pat Wilson

    Aragorn Guest

    They don't *expect* it, but it bears their preference when available.

    Incidentally, I *am* a musician and *my* music is free. I am also a
    writer - albeit that I haven't officially published anything yet - but
    anything I will publish will also in the public domain, and will be free
    of charge.
    If you stick to the strict definition of Linux being the kernel, then
    yes. That's why I speak of *GNU/Linux,* which is an operating system.
    I guess that's why the annual report by Coverity has consistently shown
    Free Software as being of a higher code quality than proprietary
    software for years on end already, and still does even in 2014.

    Just for the record, there's a huge difference between doing something
    because you like doing it and doing something because you're being paid
    for it. The quality of your work will always be better in the first
    scenario.
    Which is a lie. The official number - which by far does not represent
    the actual usage - lies around 5%. And it doesn't represent the actual
    usage because people are commonly behind a NAT these days, and they may
    have more than one machine running GNU/Linux - as is the case for me,
    for instance - but those polls only count one machine per WAN IP
    address, and they are based upon browser identification strings, which
    are often spoofed to placate those "Windows only" websites.
    Yeah, I guess that's the philosophy of the GNOME developers too, which
    is why I hate GNOME. And it's also the philosophy of Apple, which is
    why I don't like working with an Apple MacIntosh. Nor with Microsoft
    Windows for that matter.
    You can disable those effects if you are so inclined - it isn't rocket
    science. But I still prefer my customized and usable KDE, which looks
    and feels like what I want out of a desktop environment, not what some
    bozo sitting at an expensive corporate desk thinks I want.
    Nonsense. In fact, one of the things Linus said when he switched to KDE
    was that he was glad to have his wobbly windows back.
    You can keep your bug-ridden Adobe crap and Microsoft crap. I am very
    happily using GIMP and LibreOffice.
    Free Software is not freeware. There is a *huge* difference. Freeware
    is proprietary software which is given away free of charge, but in
    binary form only, given that it's proprietary.

    As for compatibility, GNU/Linux and Free Software are compatible with
    all internationally agreed upon standards, as well as with a number of
    proprietary technologies. Microsoft is notorious for being only
    compatible with itself, and OS X is a perversion compared to the FreeBSD
    it was based upon.
    I don't have any problems with it at all, and it opens Microsoft Office
    documents, and can save them again in Microsoft Office formats.
    It's my newsreader which automatically inserts the follow-up crap. I
    didn't do that myself. In fact, I dislike that functionality, but the
    only way to override it is to manually delete the follow-up group that
    it sets - it always picks the first group in the list anyway.

    Aragorn, May 14, 2014

  3. They do. Ask the city of Munich for a change.
    They run linux. And OpenOffice
    The reality is that Closed Source software is often not that good.
    Just look at windows. It is a malware ridden piece of junk

    Peter Köhlmann, May 14, 2014
  4. Pat Wilson

    Sandman Guest

    Wow, all 1.353 million people of Munich??
    If malware is your concern, I would stay far away from Windows and Android
    (Linux) and only use Mac OS X and iOS.

    The entire malware angle isn't working out for Linux advocates any longer,
    especially those that really want to include Android units in market share
    numbers.

    Sandman, May 14, 2014
  5. Aragorn wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
    Same here. Well, not quite so happy with LibreOffice; I'd rather share
    documents using something like LaTeX, where I can use my favorite text
    editor, rather than a clumsy GUI. (Microsoft Office is, in my opinion, in
    some ways an even clumsier GUI. The Ribbon is a space-wasting abomination
    that is now even used in the file explorer in Window 2012.)

    We've actually been able to replace AdLib (document conversion software),
    for example, at work, with code that spawns an OpenOffice server and
    spawns ImageMagick, to convert a wide range of document types to PDF.
    Works at least as well as AdLib did, and costs a lot less.

    Weird, isn't it, Aragorn, how every pro-Linux venue we go to starts getting
    overrun with anti-Linux, anti-Free-Software propagandists and with seeming
    corporate shills who claim everyone ought to pay top dollar for apps that
    may or may not be the "best-of-breed" in their categories?

    One thing that GNU/Linux has taught me over the years is how much can be
    done with Free software, on a Free operating system. I enjoy using it and
    do all of my play on it and almost all of my work on it. So when someone
    comes to the place I hang out to dismiss it, I will object.

    I don't go to their hangouts and rail about the expense and other defects of
    the products they love. Why do they go out of their way to come here?

    In any further correspondence on this issue, I will try to make sure
    rec.photo.digital is snipped.

    Chris Ahlstrom, May 14, 2014
  6. Alan Browne wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

    *plonk*

    You k00k!

    Chris Ahlstrom, May 14, 2014
  7. No need to prove that you are indeed a braindead apple-fanboi

    Peter Köhlmann, May 14, 2014
  8. So much for Windwoes AV:
    "Antivirus products were developed to keep hackers out, but in todayÿs
    world, Symantec only keeps about 45 percent of attempted breaches from
    ever making it inside."
    http://www.redorbit.com/news/techno...re-dead-technology-brian-dye-symantec-050714/

    "Microsoft has vast resources, literally billions of dollars in cash,
    or liquid assets reserves.
    Microsoft is an incredibly successful empire built on the premise of
    market dominance with low-quality goods."
    -- Former White House adviser Richard A. Clarke --

    Also businesses will pay ~$5-$6 on services for every $1 spent on
    licenses, just to keep the software running.
    It's likely that M$ victi...err...customers don't know they are paying so
    much because M$ does a good job deceiving them *&* hiding the costs.

    J.B.Treadstone, May 14, 2014
  9. Pat Wilson

    J. Clarke Guest

    And that's why a random collection of street kids playing basketball
    beats the NBA every time. Oops.

    J. Clarke, May 14, 2014
  10. Pat Wilson

    Jasen Betts Guest

    No the City of Munich, but still not a small organisation.
    you seem to be making a big deal over a missed capital letter.

    Jasen Betts, May 14, 2014
  11. Pat Wilson

    Sandman Guest

    I'm just making fun of pea-brain Peter :)

    Sandman, May 14, 2014
  12. Pat Wilson

    Whiskers Guest

    Do you know who provides and maintains the service? Do you know that
    no-one else has access to the hardware? Or are you just guessing and
    hoping?
    Good analogy - although babies are only one possible outcome from casual
    intercourse.
    Do parents and guardians no longer tell children not to accept sweets
    from strangers?
    So ask for a refund.
    They don't have to. A dumb charger can't; all it can do is provide
    whatever it has. A phone that can suck 5 amps will suck whatever it can
    from the charger - usually only 1 amp.
    Apple USB-powered devices look for voltages on the two data wires to see
    if the socket is designed to take instructions from the portable device
    about how to charge it. Clearly, a dumb charger will either provide a
    voltage on those wires and then ignore any instructions the device tries
    to send, or it will just have the standard resistor shorting out those
    data wires which is how non-Apple devices detect that they are connected
    to a dumb charger not a computer. Or it might have nothing at all
    connected to the two data wires (effectively, a very cheap high-value
    resistor).

    So yes, there are some USB sockets that Apple devices won't like; that's
    an Apple design decision.

    USB sockets that cater fully for the foibles of Apple devices have to
    have some degree of 'computing' ability in order to cope with the data
    exchange which Apple looks for on the data wires. Any computing ability
    can be subverted or replaced by something entirely different.

    Whiskers, May 14, 2014
  13. Pat Wilson

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On any metric I can think of.... pointrs scored, miles run, assists, (of
    course they also outnumber the NBA)
    Not your day?

    Jasen Betts, May 14, 2014
  14. Pat Wilson

    TJ Guest

    It's a mystery, all right.

    TJ

    TJ, May 14, 2014
  15. Pat Wilson

    Guest Guest

    they most definitely expect to be paid.
    you work for free?

    or do you have a real job that lets you keep the above hobbies?
    one which has a staggering lack of apps.
    on what basis and how did they evaluate that? unless that is known,
    that claim is meaningless.

    based on the free software i've used, the code quality is very
    definitely much worse. for example, the gimp is poorly optimized (it if
    is optimized at all), which is why photoshop is substantially faster
    doing the same operations on the same hardware.
    first of all, it's not an either/or. many people like what they do
    *and* get paid for it.

    second, if someone doesn't do quality work, they won't be in that job
    for very long.
    how many machines someone has behind a nat box doesn't matter. it's
    still one user who would be buying one copy of an app.

    there are also very, very few windows only websites anymore. mac os is
    far more common than it used to be and mobile usage has exploded, with
    windows quickly becoming a minority player in web usage.

    and the exact market share figure doesn't actually matter anyway. what
    matters is that it's too small for companies to have any incentive to
    bother with linux, especially when its user base isn't likely to pay
    for anything.
    then your needs are simple.

    as for buggy, you obviously have never used photoshop, illustrator or
    lightroom to make such a ludicrous claim. not only are those far more
    solid than the gimp can ever hope to be, but the gimp still lacks a
    substantial amount of what photoshop can do.

    on the other hand, flash is buggy, but that was not originally an adobe
    product. they acquired it when they bought macromedia. fortunately,
    flash is on its way out.
    his point still stands. time is money and having to screw around with
    what exists on linux to properly interact with the rest of the world is
    *not* free.

    in other words, paid software can be the least expensive option.
    either your documents are very simple or you don't exchange them with
    anyone.
    so get a different newsreader or fix the problem yourself. don't you
    have the source to it?

    Guest, May 14, 2014
  16. Pat Wilson

    Guest Guest

    Do you know who provides and maintains the service? Do you know that
    no-one else has access to the hardware? Or are you just guessing and
    hoping?[/QUOTE]

    why does that even matter?

    the problem is that devices are vulnerable to juice jacking.

    once that's fixed, it won't matter what hardware is behind a public
    charging station because devices won't be able to be juice jacked and
    all you will get is +5v.

    why are you opposed to that?
    incorrect.

    a usb device starts at 100ma and negotiates additional current.

    and phones don't suck 5 amps. even tablets only want 2 amps, and both
    must request it from the charger.
    incorrect.

    they do that because it's compliant with the usb charging spec and
    apple devices are not the only such devices that do that.
    dumb chargers are not compliant with the usb charging spec.
    incorrect.

    the design decision is that of the usb consortium who came up with the
    usb charging spec.

    apple's decision was to be compliant with it.

    unfortunately, not all companies made the same decision and there is a
    lot of non-compliant crap out there.
    it's not catering to apple. it's being compliant with the spec.

    you hate apple so much you can't even understand that much.

    Guest, May 14, 2014
  17. Pat Wilson

    -hh Guest

    FYI, the backstory here is that the conversion of 10K
    desktops within the Munich government to Linux is touted
    such as by Peter as some sort of huge "success" for Linux.

    The problem with the claim is that the true costs aren't
    known, although it is known that it took them a full
    10 years to get ~80% deployed.

    However, what's actually more significant is that the
    overall scope of Munich's project was a major IT reorganization
    from top to bottom, to seek out and eliminate inefficiences
    and fragmentation. For example, they found over twenty
    different & incompatible IT subsystems in use, which they
    consolidated into a single IT system.

    From this perspective, the OS that they happened to choose to
    employ is functionally a minor factor and almost an afterthought.

    Once again, one of the logical fallacies by the platform
    fanboys is revealed, namely to try to elevate the OS to be
    more importatn) the Application. Computers are merely
    productivity enhancement tools, and they contain an OS so as
    to allow the user to get to the productivity Application,
    because it is within the Application that actual "work" occurs.

    -hh

    -hh, May 14, 2014
  18. Pat Wilson

    TJ Guest

    My productivity would go DOWN if I were to switch from The GIMP to
    Photoshop. First of all, I'd have to switch to Windows or a Mac, and
    relearn a whole new OS interface. Same thing with the Photoshop
    interface. I'm already proficient at what I do with The GIMP. Becoming
    proficient with something else would take valuable time. And cost me
    $$$, only to probably find at the end that all that work wasn't
    necessary, or desirable.

    Obviously, since I'm *very* happy with the work I do with The GIMP,
    whatever "features" Photoshop has that The GIMP lacks are not important
    to me, and are not a reason for me to make such a major change in the
    way I do things. I also have no complaints with the speed of The Gimp.
    The speed roadblock when using The GIMP resides with the user, at least
    with what I do, not with the software. The functions performed, once I
    give the command to apply them, are instantaneous, from my point of
    view. I don't need them to be any faster.

    No, I'm not a professional photographer, nor do I pretend to be one. I
    am a farmer, and proud of it. My most complicated use for The GIMP, but
    not my only one, is to prepare a map for the USDA of where I have
    planted my crops each year. This map consists of color-coded areas drawn
    over a satellite photo of my farm, with labels for each field. Because I
    have a diversified farm, and I rotate my crops each year, each year
    requires a new map. The finished product contains an average of 70
    layers. Could I do that with Photoshop? I have no doubt. But I can do it
    in an afternoon with The GIMP. And that's plenty fast enough.

    The reasons why people spend money on software, even when adequate free
    software is available, are simple. Inertia is probably the biggest one.
    Those in charge are comfortable with what they have, and resist change.
    Many know little of operating systems, and have been brainwashed by
    Microsoft and Apple fanbois that *all* "free" software is bad, of low
    quality, and riddled with malware. So without a compelling reason to
    change, they continue to shell out $$$ for what they're used to.

    TJ

    TJ, May 14, 2014
  19. Pat Wilson

    J. Clarke Guest

    The thing is, that's not a terribly demanding use. One could do that
    with the paint program that's included with Windows.

    J. Clarke, May 14, 2014
  20. Pat Wilson

    Tony Cooper Guest

    You have already declared in a post that some developers offer an app
    for free in hopes of creating a market for that app and the
    possibility of later making it a for-fee app.

    If free apps are always without any value, then Apple is offering a
    lot of valueless iPhone apps at the App Store. There have been
    several free apps recommended by people in this newsgroup.

    I believe SavageDuck is using some free apps to identify birds and as
    an adjunct to his phone's camera.

    Tony Cooper, May 14, 2014