    Anybody willing to help a WIRED dual router set-up noob, I would
    greatly appreciate it!!!
    Take care and stay web safe :-]

    Smoaky, Jun 8, 2006

  2. Smoaky

    RBM Guest

    Each of your routers has a built in four port switch. If you can disable the
    DHCP on one router and link them together, you are essentially just using
    the switch portion of the second router. Why not just go buy a switch and
    uplink it to either router and simplify. Here is a reasonably priced one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124004

    RBM, Jun 8, 2006

  3. Smoaky

    Smoaky Guest

    Thanks RBM,
    I said I was a noo'b to router hook-ups. So If i get a switch as you
    suggested how do I do what you said to do " uplink it to either router
    and simplify" . how do i perform this proceedure? step by step if it is
    not too much trouble!! :-[

    Smoaky, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Um, I would think that it would be just a ethernet cable from one of
    the LAN ports of the router (i.e., where you hooked a computer in
    before!) and then one to any port on the switch.

    Most newer switches can tell that they are hooked into something else
    upstream, and deal accordingly. Older switches had a special port (one
    of the 4 or 8) that was labeled "uplink," and either had a switch or
    you had to use a special cable called a "crossover cable" that looked
    like a standard network cable, but reversed the speak and listen wires
    to hadle the conversation in the other direction.

    A newer router and a newer switch should present little problem. Just
    plug and go!

    Hope that this helps... and that if I am wrong, someone corrects me.

    nakedfarmanimals, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Smoaky

    Smoaky Guest

    So I HAVE to buy a workgroup switch in order to get TWO routers to work
    with One cable modem therfore utilizing one ISP internet signal? Any
    simpler or perhaps (cheaper method) avail?

    Smoaky, Jun 9, 2006
  6. The first model, Belkin 4 port Model F5D5230-4, is a routing switch.
    It can function as a router, and has a built-in switch. Is seems like
    you would want to turn off the routing functions (DHCP server, give it
    a static IP in the subnet of the other router, etc.) and just use it as
    a switch.

    I think that for this model device, the default (factory reset) ip is
    192.168.2.1, and the userid/password combination is Admin/(blank)

    The other animal, the D-Link DI-604, is the same: router with 4 port
    switch. Here, at factory default, the ip is 192.168.0.1, and
    admin/(blank)

    So, no, you don't HAVE to buy a workgroup switch in order to get TWO
    routers to work with One cable modem. It is, however, a bit of a waste
    of technology, as the second device, connected into one of the ports of
    the first (the first hooking into the ISP / cable modem / DSL device /
    etc.) has additional capability that you need to turn off.

    Things get ooky if you don't turn off DHCP on the second device. When
    you turn on your computer and it says "somebody give me an IP
    address!", and more than one device can respond, confusion ensues.

    Make sense?

    nakedfarmanimals, Jun 9, 2006
  7. Smoaky

    Smoaky Guest

    Yeah, I'm getting there :p
    So to make things simpler, it would be just better to have a workgroup
    switch between the two routers, correcto?
    This whole two router hook-up is derived from the fact that I have four
    PC's on one 4 port router, the Belkin. One of my son's does alot of
    heavy gaming and burning CD's and DVD's. This usually creates and drop
    in the internet signal to my other comps(usually for a brief period of
    time) sometimes several times a day, and then internet is restored.I
    never have this prob unless he is tranferring alot of data.
    Therefore i was thinking (and probably incorrectly) that if I put his
    PC and another less used PC on a seperate router,( the extra one I just
    bought but not hooked up yet, D Link DI-604) and have the other two on
    the second router(Belkin) that it would help eleviate the signal
    drops.I know that all the data would eventually go thru the first
    router, but this is the only uneducated solution i could come up with.
    P.S. i have checked with my ISP and they has determined that my cable
    modem is good. So I am thinking that maybe the Belkin router cannot
    handle all four PC's at one time and is having heart failure thus
    dropping my internet siganl periodically.
    Any suggestions/comments as to the prob&solution?
    Thanks folks I appreciated all the great help!!!!!! :-]

    Smoaky, Jun 9, 2006
  8. Just make sure that the problem is caused by the actions you describe.

    Burning CDs or DVDs is not normally a network-draining activity; that
    is, if I burn a DVD on my computer, it does not take up any of the
    network bandwidth available to both my and my wife's machine; burning
    DVDs may be CPU intensive (making my machine slower on its own), but
    takes little to no network resources.

    Gaming is a different challenge. With most of the network enabled
    games, or games played over the Internet, there *can* be a large usage
    of the available network bandwidth. I say *may,* as if your son and
    his friends are all hooked to the same router, then there is a lot of
    network traffic on the switch, but that should not impact your surfing.
    Playing vs. someone across the country (or even across town!) means
    that his information has to go out the the internet, and would use
    network bandwidth.

    Hope that this helps...

    nakedfarmanimals, Jun 9, 2006
  9. Smoaky

    Smoaky Guest

    Thanks, Thats good info to know.
    Any possible causes as to what would be the reason of periodical signal
    drops?
    Could my 4 year old Belkin router be ready to croak? I won't get the D
    Link DI-604 in the mail until tomorrow. I will replace the Belkin with
    the D Link to see if that stops the prob. That was the main reason I
    bought the D Link. Thought that MIGHT solve this headache!!!
    You thoughts? :-\

    Smoaky, Jun 9, 2006
  10. Smoaky

    Smoaky Guest

    P.S. my data transfer light on both my cable modem and the WAN light on
    my router CONSTANTLY blinks all the time,even when no one has thier PC
    on !!! I don't remember this being the case several months ago when I
    didn't have the signal drops. Any possibilities that this could be a
    prob?

    Smoaky, Jun 9, 2006
  11. Smoaky

    Smoaky Guest

    Please somebody help me if you can. I need possible solutions
    Thanks :-]

    Smoaky, Jun 9, 2006
  12. Smoaky

    Harry Guest

    Every router with more than one port is a router and switch combined.
    To get more computers onto a router, you just add switches (or hubs).

    The absolutely simplest way to make two routers work like a router and
    a switch is to (a) connect up the first router to your Internet source
    and your network in the usual fashion, (b) turn off DHCP on the second
    router, and (c) connect the first router to the second using a
    crossover cable (can use regular ethernet cable with some routers that
    have special button or port for uplinking). NOTE WELL: Do not use the
    WAN port on the second router. Use only the LAN ports, which are the
    switch ports. Also note that you lose two ports -- the ports that are
    used to connect the two devices. So, if you start with two four-port
    routers, you'll end up being able to connect six devices (computers,
    printers, etc.) to your network.

    Harry, Jun 10, 2006