    dah_dah Guest

    How do I hook up my wife's computer to mine so she can use my Internet
    connection?

    dah_dah, Jun 10, 2006

  2. dah_dah

    Meat Plow Guest

    Meat Plow, Jun 10, 2006

  3. dah_dah

    why? Guest

    Depending on your current connection / ISP what hardware you already
    have, a router is the most common solution.

    Learn to search past posts in 24HSHD as well, there are lots of posts
    with lists of URL's for home networking.

    Here are a few bookmarked,

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.firewall.cx/
    http://www.homepcnetwork.com/ (needs JavaScript enabled for homepage)
    http://www.homenethelp.com/

    ICS, or another connection sharing program.

    Typical setups, one example
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/diagrams.html

    From some older posts , searching

    A Mike post -
    Step by Step: Networking for Dummies
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guide.htm

    DIY home networking guides and tutorials
    http://www.homenethelp.com/

    WLAN Wireless Networking
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wlan.htm

    Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/

    How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 1)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936

    http://www.wown.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    From a why? post -
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=home+network+tutorial&as_ug...
    or shorter
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?D1872344B

    or ripped from several previous posts -

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    See Index for ICS, check the step-by-step articles maybe?
    http://www.wown.com/

    maybe here as well
    http://www.firewall.cx/

    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guide.htm

    http://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/common/

    One of the sites mentioned in other posts,
    http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/diagram-multiport-router.html

    Me

    why?, Jun 10, 2006
  4. dah_dah

    Melv Guest

    Using windows xp I'd go for a router. I find xp not nearly as user friendly
    as win95/98 for any networking. One day it works fine the next nothing, had
    this on a fair few xp comps now, problems I did not see on 95/98
    Melv

    Melv, Jun 10, 2006
  5. dah_dah

    Mike Easter Guest

    Where we will presume your connectivity to be via DSL because of your
    nntp IP's rDNS.

    But, we can't presume to know whether you are ethernet or USB to your
    DSL modem or how your or your wife's computer is hardwared, ie does
    everything have ethernet? - modem and both computers?

    I'll assume yes to take the easy way out for an inadequately posed
    question.

    Get a switchrouter type NAT device so that you have a little
    ethernetwork of computers to router/NAT to modem. There are a lot of
    sites which show tutorials for networking and sharing a connection.

    Mike Easter, Jun 10, 2006
  6. dah_dah

    dah_dah Guest

    Thanks to everyone who replied to my e-mail, especially "Meat Plow". That
    Microsoft link just takes you by the hand and walks you through the options.

    dah_dah, Jun 10, 2006
  7. dah_dah

    Plato Guest

    Hook them both up to a router.