How to Have Only Unread Msgs Showing When 1st Accessing NGs

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Herb, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Herb

    Herb Guest

    I've asked this before in a similar situation -- I know it has something
    to do with the "*.msf*" files under the ''NG name'' folder.
    I've removed those MSF files and then restarted TB and went to my NGs.
    A particular newsgroup is highlighted with a certain bolded number
    (example: 7) of unread messages. Then, when I click on thaat NG, it only
    shows the actual number of unread messages in the list -- this amount
    can be anywhere from 0 to 7 in this example.

    Over time, this first bolded number seems to increase for some reason,
    altho when I click on the group, it does only show the unread msgs.

    NG is set to show only unread messages, rather than all msgs. But when
    MSF file is deleted and I open NGs, the default is to "show all" again
    and this must be reset to "show new only".

    I'm not sure what is the significance of this first bolded number I see.

    My question: How do I tweak this so that when I go to the NG, it only
    shows the actual number of unread messages?

    Thanx, Herb

    Herb, Feb 4, 2005

  2. I had similar problems. The cure was to delete the two offending NGs,
    wait a few days, and then add them back to the news account. The first
    time I accessed them I was asked whether I wanted load all of the
    messages or just 500. The right thing to do is say just 500 and click
    "Mark the rest as read". I don't understand it but it got me back to
    normal.

    William W. Plummer, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Herb

    Z Guest

    I have found that, when I first subscribe to a new newsgroup, and when
    the number of total unread messages exceeds the download limit of 500,
    if I do not check the box to mark the other messages as read, I will see
    that same problem.

    Try this: unsubscribe from the ng, subscribe to the ng, connect, select
    the box to mark the extra messages read.

    Is the count fixed now?

    Z, Feb 4, 2005
  4. Herb

    Herb Guest