How to go about single Cisco IP phone on SOHO network

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by chris, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. chris

    chris Guest

    Hello all - new to VOIP so bear with ;-)

    Problem - costs involved communicating back home when away

    Solution - VOIP

    Here's the big question, current hardware is:

    Toshiba laptop with Toshiba IP phone software
    Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL router (fixed WAN IP address)

    Can I connect a Cisco IP phone to the router back home and place VOIP
    calls from the laptop (via cybercafe etc).

    Do I need any other hardware?

    Do I need a VOIP service provider, or can I call straight into the
    fixed IP address?

    Thanks in advance!

    Chris

    chris, Aug 24, 2005

  2. Hi Chris,

    You may wish to investigate the Vonage SoftPhone:

    http://www.vonage.com/features.php?feature=softphone

    However, please keep in mind that Vonage "customer support" has gone
    totally down the tubes.

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    http://www.bradreese.com/index.htm#EXPERTS
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA/Canada Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294

    www.BradReese.Com, Aug 25, 2005

  3. chris

    Paul Guest

    Why would anyone want to use vonage? (yeah yeah I know there are people who
    just want a working phone)
    You have to pay extra for their softphone anyway.
    Not to mention the total lack of flexibility with them.

    Paul, Aug 25, 2005
  4. chris

    Jonathan Guest

    Make it easy.

    Get VMWare and a copy of CallManager.

    Install both.

    Put IP communicator on your laptop.

    Point it to a public IP for your CM.

    Put a 7960 on your LAN

    Call home like a crazy person.

    (you will need to punch a couple of holes through your firewall TCP 1720,
    2000, and UDP 16535 to 32768)

    Jonathan

    Jonathan, Aug 25, 2005