How to get the back of an Acer all-in-one (ZC-605)?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Sep 16, 2013.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    Bit of a long shot here, but my limited googling skills have turned up
    nothing useful.

    I'm trying to help someone who wants to fit a different HDD to a recently
    purchased Acer Aspire ZC-605 all-in-one computer.

    I thought it would be easy enough, but can't figure out how to get the back
    off. After spending some time puzzling over this and gently trying a few
    things, it's obvious to me that there's some kind of snap-fit used in
    assembly, and that some degree of force will be required to remove the
    back.

    Problem is in knowing where to apply the force.
    It would be very easy to damage the computer, I would think.

    The Acer site is fairly useless.
    I've looked at several YouTube videos for opening up Acer computers, but
    nothing for this model, and the information needs to be model specific.

    Any suggestions for forums or technical groups which haven't shown up via
    googling where I might find someone who knows the answer?

    I do know that there's much valuable stuff on usenet, which just isn't
    available through searching on the internet any more.

    This is a fairly recent model, which is possibly why there aren't any
    obvious videos about it on YouTube.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Sep 16, 2013

  2. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hi John,

    Well, you're right - there doesn't seem to be anything out there on this
    model. All I can suggest is contacting Acer NZ from their site;
    http://www.acer.co.nz/ac/en/NZ/content/service I'm sure they'll help if
    you put in a request or ring 0800 223 769 (the number for tech support /
    service and repair on that page). Can't hurt anyway, all it'll cost is a
    little time.

    ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    ~misfit~, Sep 17, 2013

  3. John S

    JohnO Guest

    Dunno about this model, but is there a bezel around the keyboard that you can pop off?

    JohnO, Sep 18, 2013
  4. John S

    John S Guest

    SNIP ...
    This model has separate (wireless) keyboard and mouse.

    There is a bezel or plastic rim right round the frame of the integrated
    unit. This rim is secured on the underside (the side the unit stands on)
    with some small screws. When the screws are removed, the rim is still
    firmly held, but can be pulled away slightly from the frame at the base. I
    found I could slide a blade under the rim and pop some internal clips along
    the two sides.

    However, when I reached either of the two top corners, it wasn't possible
    to go any further without applying more force than I wanted to risk.

    The rim is captured by the moulded plastic back, so you can't lift the rim
    or move it any distance. I couldn't see any place to get leverage under the
    back moulding.

    But thanks for the comment.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Sep 18, 2013
  5. John S

    John S Guest

    SNIP ..
    Hi Misfit,

    Yes, probably that's what I will have to do, unless I can find a local
    friendly serviceman who has had one to bits. Presumably people in the trade
    have access to service info that the public don't.

    Cheers,

    John S

    John S, Sep 18, 2013
  6. John S

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John S wrote:
    [snip]
    I find that, when trying to open anything like that old credit or EFTPOS
    cards and similar are your friends. You use them to stop the clips from
    re-engaging as you work your way around...

    I could be telling you something that you already know - but when I
    discovered the idea it made a big difference. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Sep 18, 2013
  7. John S

    waipc

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2014
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    These things are turddragons to work on. You need a pair of pullers, put in the cooling vents above the ACER logo on the rear stand and pull sharply up. Then remove the 3 screws holding the stand. Then remove the screws around the case (yes...all of them) and then pop the damned compression fit with a plastic guitar fit. Very tricky to not break any of the brittle plastic.

    waipc, Jul 11, 2014
  8. John S

    guruMarkB

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I just took the back off of an Acer Aspire ZC 605 AIO computer. After using Waipc's info to get the cover over the heatsink off, there is 1 screw to the left of the Acer logo that needs to be removed, and then remove the 3 screws that hold the stand on to take it off and get it out of the way. Finally remove the 5 screws in the base stand and the 3 at the bottom of the AIO. Then it is just like all other difficult to snap apart laptop cases. I started in the base stand corners and carefully with a small flat blade screwdriver got the base stand to snap apart. The hard part is when moving along the left/right sides to apply just enough force and get just the right amount of prying leverage to get the next plastic hook to snap apart. My small flat blade screwdriver was not quite right, it was damaging the plastic (not enough width to pry with). So I took apart my metal box cutter (same ones UPS uses and I think mine came from a UPS delivery man), removed the single edge razor blade, and used the back end (opposite the end the blade is inserted in) as it was perfect for working my way up both sides and prying the back off. It takes a fair amount of force and at times you will hear awful plastic snapping sounds as the next hook releases which is disconcerting, but it isn't breaking any of the plastic hooks if done properly. To keep the hooks that I already had apart from accidentally snapping back together I took one of my needle nose pliers and used the rubber coated handles as a wedge to keep the 2 sides separated. As both left and right sides were snapping apart it became easier the farther toward the top corners I got. Then it was very easy to use my box cutter to work from one top corner to the other top corner to get the top to snap apart. Not too difficult once I had the right thin but wide metal blade to use to pry the back off and figured out that I wasn't breaking the plastic hooks with the amount of force I was applying.

    guruMarkB, Aug 18, 2015