How to get sound off laptop without using earplug output?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The Stone Crusher, Nov 18, 2009.

  1. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running XP Professional SP3. I am having
    trouble using the 'headset-earplug' outputs and would like to be able to
    take the sound off the laptop in some other way. I want to play MP3s.

    Is there some kind of USB adapter and software that can do this?

    I have the following facilities on the laptop:

    Network Connecting Jack

    Express Card Slot

    S-Video TV out connector

    4 - USB 2.0 connectors

    VGA connector

    Network connector

    Modem connector

    HDMI connector

    IEEE 1394 connector

    8 -in-1 Media card reader

    Goodwill,

    Luke

    The Stone Crusher, Nov 18, 2009

  2. The Stone Crusher

    VanguardLH Guest

    VanguardLH, Nov 18, 2009

  3. Thanks for the suggestions. They will certainly work.

    I believe I did it again! Not enough info.

    What I am actually trying to do is to take the sound from the laptop to an
    mixer/amp. It seems to me that the headsets suggested would not be
    needed(?). If I had the software that probably comes with the headsets I
    could make a USB connecting wire with a 1/4 inch audio plug on the other
    end.

    Does this sound reasonable? Or does the USB headset have to be 'recognized'
    by XP in order to install a driver of some sort?

    Thanks, again.

    The Stone Crusher, Nov 18, 2009
  4. The Stone Crusher

    VanguardLH Guest

    You can't do the conversion from digital signals for USB to analog
    signals for your amp input by just using a cable. Wires don't convert
    between digital and analog. A DAC (digital-to-analog converter) is
    needed.

    http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5735260
    http://tinyurl.com/ygfwj6j

    I'll leave further web searches to you. So what's wrong with the analog
    audio output jack in the laptop?

    VanguardLH, Nov 18, 2009
  5. The Stone Crusher, Nov 18, 2009