How to get rid of removeable drives that don't exist

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by kitten23the, May 12, 2011.

1. kitten23the

kitten23the

I also have some removeable drives that don't exist (three).
    I even bought a program that erased the entire hard drive, including the registry (department of defense standard). I re-installed the recovery disk and the bogus drives still existed. I tried fdisking and installing a new logical drive with windows 98. It created a new registry logical dos drive (it told me it must create a dos drive) and then tried to install the os from my 98 disk. It would not do it.(I forget why).
    So I tried with windows 95 in hopes of using my floppies to install that program and upgrade, eventually to XP. (I have all these disks) But it said that it was a non-system disk. I wonder why the bogus drives still existed when I re-installed my recovery disk, even though I had done a destruction of my hard drive, including all the partitions. It is a problem because with these phantom drives, my computer would not write the device drivers on my hard drive, so I can't get on the internet on that computer. I installed an old Linux os, and it installed, but kept freezing. Any ideas?
    Oh, I also deleted them on the device manager, and they deleted, but returned when I re-started my computer.

kitten23the, May 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question