How to get rid of "ghost" system messages

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DaveF, Oct 9, 2006.

  1. DaveF

    DaveF Guest

    XP Home SP2. I installed a new printer about 3 weeks ago.
    As part of the Canon instructions, they said if the "Found New
    Hardware Wizard" dialog appears, to hit Cancel. I did and
    the dialog closed. The software installation then proceeded
    using Canon's own procedure and it seemed to be successful.

    But every time I boot up the same Wizard dialog still pops up.
    Also there is a yellow balloon in the tray that says "Found New
    Hardware - multimedia hardware controller." The Canon
    printer is the only new hardware I have installed in months,
    and I don't even know what a "multimedia hardware controller is."

    Within the last few days I uninstalled the Canon software via the
    "add-remove hardware" dialog (I had to return the printer to
    the retailer because it would not print properly).

    But the Wizard dialog and the yellow balloon still appear
    evert time I start up. Does anyone know if there some way I
    can zap these two annoying messages ?

    BTW I don't have any utility software for Windows problems if
    that is needed.

    Thanks, DaveF

    DaveF, Oct 9, 2006

  2. DaveF

    Jerry Attic Guest

    This message has nothing to do with your printer. It has evrything to do
    with a software driver for some "multimedia hardware controller" which
    you may or may not have unintentionally uninstalled. The driver may have
    even become corrupted somehow. If you go to Control
    Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager, you will probably see a the device
    responsible highlighted with a nifty exclamation point in a yellow
    circle. You didn't mention who made your PC, but if it's something like
    a Dell or HP, you can go to their web page and download the driver. It
    will probably be under drivers for your soundcard.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Oct 9, 2006

  3. DaveF

    DaveF Guest

    Thanks for the clues Jerry. Under Device Mgr there is:

    - Other Devices:
    - Multimedia Controller
    - Multimedia Audio controller
    - Multimedia Video controller

    There is a yellow question mark, without exclamation point,
    at each of the 4 entries.

    It seems the other artifact I want to get rid of -- Found New Hardware
    Wizard is related to this, and not the recently uninstalled printer I
    mentioned.

    When I click on any of the yellow question marks it leads me to
    reinstall drivers and "If any CD came with your device put it in now"
    (or something like that).

    I have 2 or 3 CDs that came in the motherboard box from the corner PC
    store where the unit was built. When I get enough courage I'll put
    them in the CD ROM drive in turn until something good happens :) (The
    sound card was built into the motherboard).

    Actually I'll probably wait 'til tomorrow and look for the fellow who
    built it a year ago. Shops are closed today - Thanksgiving day
    holiday in Canada.

    Thanks again Jerry
    DaveF

    DaveF, Oct 9, 2006