    PC in a prefetch folder and deleted them, but it comes back so I'm probably not
    getting rid of them the right way. Can anyone say how to get rid of it for good?
    Are there other similar programs I might need to look for?

    SandyD, Mar 20, 2013

  2. SandyD

    Mike Easter Guest

    You forgot to mention your OS and v. You also forgot to mention what
    anti-malware measures you are using, both real-time and on demand such
    as MalwareBytes AntiMalware.

    Depending on those answers, some people would need to use the help of
    logging programs such as MBAM and DDS and the guidelines of sites like
    techspot's anti-malware.

    http://www.techspot.com/community/t...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
    UPDATED 4-Step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Removal Preliminary Instructions

    And know your risks such as
    http://www.techspot.com/community/t...ead-this-before-cleaning-or-formatting.65943/
    Is your system infected? Read this before cleaning or formatting

    xposts deleted, f/ups to achp-h

    Mike Easter, Mar 20, 2013

  3. SandyD

    John Doe Guest

    Excellent use for backup copies of your operating system and
    programs.

    John Doe, Mar 20, 2013
  4. SandyD

    Paul Guest

    You can upload suspect files to www.virustotal.com and have them scanned.

    That will tell you what kind of file it is.

    To give you an example, this is what showed up in a previous scan
    of a file by that name. It lit up virustotal like a Christmas tree!

    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...a5fcd3b41c2e138d6153a3de7f29112877d/analysis/

    One website classifies citadelbuild.exe as a "Fraudulent Security Program".
    Whatever that means. I guess it means it is not a real security program,
    but only pretends to protect your PC. Making it one of the bad guys.

    You can try the free version of Malwarebytes.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes'_Anti-Malware

    "It is available in a free version, which scans for and
    removes malware when started manually"

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 21, 2013
  5. SandyD

    Daniel47 Guest

    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good defence, ..... as long as you
    download its latest data files before you scan!! and before you scan the
    next time!! and before you scan the time after that!! and before the
    time ......!

    IMHO

    Daniel

    Daniel47, Mar 21, 2013
  6. SandyD

    Daniel47 Guest

    .....and have a guess what I've spent this evening doing to my sister's
    computer!?!? 19 virii ....updated Malwarebytes and Bitdefender might help!!

    Daniel

    Daniel47, Mar 22, 2013
  7. Assuming citadelbuild.exe is a virus and cannot be cleaned by simply
    deleting the instances of it that are found in the Folder Structure, doesn't
    this mean that there is a Registry entry that calls for nastyvirus.ex_ to be
    expanded to citadelbuild.exe everytime the machine turns on? If the first
    rule of a virus is to protect itself, then it would prevent an infected
    machine from going to an anti-virus site to find something that could defeat
    it, and it would mascarade as *.ex_ so it could replicate itself everytime
    the machine starts, or anytime a browser is started, or whatever.

    Now that I have painted a background...

    Would one not be able to start the machine in Safe Mode and then enter
    REGEDIT (Start>Run>Regedit) and do a search for all instances of
    CITADELBUILD.EXE and delete all keys that contain a reference?

    One could do some serious damage to the Registry by messing around with
    stuff they have no clue about, but if there was a virus that kept
    replicating itself over and over, then removing the regisrty entry(ies) that
    keep invoking it seems like a reasonable thing to do. At least, that's what
    I would do.

    <Sorry, I posted that wrong, and just cut Paul's comments. I shoulda posted
    below Paul. In any case, I am asking a question of Paul that might help the
    OP.>

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 22, 2013