How to get pictures out of Kodak CX6230 with minimum spyware and bloatware? Geek challenge :)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Keith, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    rec.photo.digital

    From these two threads, I see concerns about backdoors and bloatware
    in Kodak
    EasyShare. I have a little Kodak camera CX6230, and I want to get the
    pictures
    out of it. Of course I prefer not to have Kodak spyware and backdoors.
    Now,
    I prefer to have the pictures even if I must accept spyware and
    backdoors, but
    it would be nice to minimize the Kodak spyware and backdoors. I fear
    from
    my cursory glance over one of the threads, that I will have to accept
    some
    Kodak spyware and bloatware, but I really have no worthwhile
    documentation
    (it was a cheap camera, I guess, and the booklet is a joke).

    (Threads to which I alluded:)

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...rnum=7&prev=/groups?q=kodak+easyshare&ie=UTF-

    8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...nz&rnum=2&prev=/groups?q=kodak+easyshare&ie%3

    DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26hl%3Den%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch

    So, in the installation routine for Kodak, what is fewest set of
    checkboxes
    of things I have to install, to minimize spyware and bloatware, but to
    still be
    able to get pictures out of it?

    I have no "docking station" (I'm not familiar with them).

    Again, I would prefer not to have any dumb bloatware process running
    all
    the time wasting processor time and tying up memory, because 99% of
    the
    time the camera won't be plugged in, so it would be stupid to have
    Kodak
    spyware whatnot running when there is no camera connected at all :)

    The only alternative I see is to select some checkboxes in the
    installation
    routine--below I list the ones available -- this appears to be
    EasyShare for
    Windows 3.1. I'd also be interested if there is any simpler
    alternative where
    you just get a nice driver, like in the old days, when you just got a
    driver
    for device (before spyware became the order of the day for the printer
    makers
    and so forth).

    ****

    Kodak camera connection software
    KODAK 6-in-1 Card Reader
    Kodak EasyShare software
    KODAK Software Updater
    Apple QuickTime

    ****

    It is pretty clear to me that QuickTime is spurious, and can be left
    off.
    The Software Updater sounds like obvious spyware. But I don't know
    about
    the first three. I took a shot at installing and only selected the
    first
    item. It is installed now, but the manual says I should see a camera
    icon
    in the My Computer explorer window (so I guess they installed a shell
    extension), but, well, they seem to lie -- no such camera icon is
    present.
    Perhaps I was not supposed to select only that option (and the
    installer
    just is not smart enough to warn me that what I selected will not
    work)?
    Or is there an exe I can run to download the pictures? I don't want
    any
    stupid shell extension anyway, as that sounds like bloatware that will
    affect me all the time and be loaded 100% of the time. :(

    That is, all I want is a program to get the pictures off the camera.
    I don't want spyware, I don't want shell extensions that bloat my
    computer
    100% of the time (when I use the camera less than 0.1% of the time), I
    just
    want to retrieve the pictures; I would think this would be what the
    public
    would normally want.

    PS:
    I saw this allegation: "The Kodak Updater will get
    it for you in the background. " which sounds like there is spyware
    that
    will go out without my permission over my (pathetically slow) dialup
    connection, and that will be really unfortunate, if I can't avoid
    that.

    PPS:
    I may sound cynical, but I've not only seen a lot of spyware, but I
    saw
    Kodak EasyShare show up over on the net abuse sightings list.

    PPPS:
    I started to look at kodak.com, but it looked kind of bad; I'm on
    dialup,
    and it was struggling loading pictures, so I was guessing its another
    one
    of the sites only for people on broadband. I did get to the Kodak FAQs
    popup page (hm, popups, not a good sign), but the "Browse" button
    doesn't
    do anything. Perhaps they don't support modern browsers? I saw someone
    say
    that their Mozilla wasn't working on Kodak's site; I use what I think
    is
    pretty modern Mozilla. (Just checked; Mozilla 1.5).

    PPPPS:
    So as I guess is obvious, if anyone can tell me how to just download
    pictures from a Kodak CX6230 camera without a lot of bloatware and
    spyware, I will worship the ground you walk on :) :)

    Keith, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Keith

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Simple answer. But a card reader that will read your cards. Attach it
    to your computer, where it will show up as a disk drive. Insert cards
    and use your file manager to transfer the files to your HD. You may
    have to add driver software to the computer if you don't have the latest OS.
    This avoids ALL added software, and costs under $10.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Keith

    Keith Guest

    Oooh, I didn't know that was possible; thanks very much!!!

    (I've actually got the software working with one check, but this
    idea of a card reader sounds really great, if they're really that
    cheap!)

    Keith, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Keith

    Keith Guest

    (Followup my own message to record an answer I found)

    Only checking the first checkbox ("Kodak camera connection software")
    turns out to work--like an idiot, I was testing before with my
    camera not actually turned on.

    I do have a shell extension added now, due to that installation, but
    hopefully it is only a dll, which is more lightweight than a fulltime
    process running. The drag&drop of files is actually fairly
    convenient :)

    Keith, Jan 5, 2004
  5. Keith

    Ron Hunter Guest

    If you have access to a Fry's discount store, they are. At CompUSA they
    run from $20 to $40. Have seen ads for 6 in 1 models as low as $9.95
    for the USB 1.1 models. USB 2.0 runs about $10 more.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 5, 2004