How to get past "access denied"?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I recently uninstalled Norton SystemWorks 2003 and installed Norton
    SystemWorks Premier 2005. (I know, that may be my first mistake, but I have
    used Norton for years without any problems, and I primarily wanted the
    upgrade to Ghost 9.0.) Well, this time I *have* run into problems -- and it
    is with Ghost, my primary motivation for buying the Premier edition. All
    attempts to run Ghost results in a "Catastrophic Failure" message. A search
    of the Symantec Knowledge Base says that the solution is to reinstall COM+.
    I have attempted to follow Symantec's instructions. However, the
    instructions say to go to the command prompt and type the following,
    pressing Enter after each line:
    CD %WINDIR%
    RMDIR /S REGISTRATION
    However, the second line results in a message of "access is denied." Can
    anyone provide any help on how to get past that? I am the only user of this
    computer, and I am the administrator. Is there some other way to logon that
    would permit me to make this change?

    I am using a Compaq Presarion 8000 computer running Win XP-Home Edition.

    Thanks for any help.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Dec 11, 2004

  2. MaryL

    Plato Guest

    Time to use quality utils instead of nortons stuff.

    Plato, Dec 11, 2004

  3. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Maybe so, but I already paid for this one...and I would at least like to be
    able to use Ghost. Moreover, I have noticed that other people have had
    problems with "access denied." Is there any way for me to get past that?

    Also: I'm open to suggestions for a good image program (in case of
    disaster) and even a good back-up program if it will backup to 750mb zip
    disks and can be set to run manually (not automatic).

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Try this: http://www.acronis.com/

    Pete

    Pete Angelakos, Dec 11, 2004
  5. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks. A friend of mine also recommended Acronis for backup, and it looks
    interesting. (Do you have any ideas about the "access denied" problem?
    Even if I switch from Norton to Acronis -- which is a distinct
    possibility -- there is still the issue of whether COM+ really needs to be
    reinstalled, which is what the Symantec site claims. If so, I can't do that
    as long as access is denied. Or...does anyone know what COM+ is? All of my
    other programs run without any problems.)

    MaryL

    MaryL, Dec 12, 2004