How to get Jet Direct 170X wireless print server working with notebook/router combo.

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Graeme, Dec 14, 2006.

  1. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Hello,

    I am running win xp on a dell inspiron 6400. I have a wireless link to the
    internet via a belkin pre n router. I run mcafee security software. This all
    works ok. I also have a brother hl 5140. Up until now I have only ever
    printed to the laser with a direct connection over usb. However I was
    recently given an old jet direct 170x wireless printer server. I am trying
    to get the jet direct 170x to play with my setup. I was not given a manual
    for the jet direct 170x and am just trying to wing it. So far I have
    unplugged the usb cable between the notebook and the pc, plugged an ethernet
    cable between the jet direct 170x and my belkin pre n router, connected the
    printer to the jet direct 170x with a parallel cable and plugged the jet
    direct 170x into the power point. In additon I have downloaded and installed
    hp web jet admin and hp universal printing ps. I then tried to print to the
    laser via the router and jetdirect print servo combo. However, win xp can't
    "see" the laser. I know that the print server is ok because I was able to
    print a "test" page by hitting a button on the print server. So.. could
    anyone please advise as to what I am doing wrong? Is there a way to
    determine the internet address of the print server in my setup as hp
    universal printing ps keeps asking for one? Do you think mcafee firewall
    might be causing an issue? Your thoughts appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Graeme.

    Graeme, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Graeme

    Travis M. Guest

    You should be able to get the print server manual from the HP web site.

    Travis M., Dec 15, 2006

  3. From: "Graeme" <graeme>

    | Hello,
    |
    | I am running win xp on a dell inspiron 6400. I have a wireless link to the
    | internet via a belkin pre n router. I run mcafee security software. This all
    | works ok. I also have a brother hl 5140. Up until now I have only ever
    | printed to the laser with a direct connection over usb. However I was
    | recently given an old jet direct 170x wireless printer server. I am trying
    | to get the jet direct 170x to play with my setup. I was not given a manual
    | for the jet direct 170x and am just trying to wing it. So far I have
    | unplugged the usb cable between the notebook and the pc, plugged an ethernet
    | cable between the jet direct 170x and my belkin pre n router, connected the
    | printer to the jet direct 170x with a parallel cable and plugged the jet
    | direct 170x into the power point. In additon I have downloaded and installed
    | hp web jet admin and hp universal printing ps. I then tried to print to the
    | laser via the router and jetdirect print servo combo. However, win xp can't
    | "see" the laser. I know that the print server is ok because I was able to
    | print a "test" page by hitting a button on the print server. So.. could
    | anyone please advise as to what I am doing wrong? Is there a way to
    | determine the internet address of the print server in my setup as hp
    | universal printing ps keeps asking for one? Do you think mcafee firewall
    | might be causing an issue? Your thoughts appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Graeme.

    Print Servers are OT for this Router group.

    You need to make sure the Router is serving UP IP addresses via DHCP.

    You need to reset the JetDirect (should be a button to hold down for 30 secs.) such that it
    gets an IP from the Router's DHCP server.

    Go into the Router and look at the DHCP table of assignments and find the IP address of the
    JetDirect.

    Telnet or HTTP into the Print Server and statically set the Print Server with a fixed IP
    address.

    On any NT based OS, print to the IP address.

    On any Win9x/ME PCs you will need the "HP Install Network Printer Wizard".

    David H. Lipman, Dec 24, 2006