    new domain name.

    The features at domainsatcost seem difficult to use ... and I think I regret
    signing up with them now.

    JD, Jul 8, 2004

  2. That *sounds* like registration only...
    ....but I don't see you actually separating registration/ownership from
    *hosting*.
    Then, *that* sounds like you may be saying you registered with them
    *and* have signed up for hosting with them.

    Help! :)

    At any rate, the whole process (simply) is:

    Register the domain. Sounds like you did this.

    Get a host. I dunno if you've done this.

    Have the registrar you used point that domain name to the DNS servers
    (generally two) at wherever you're being hosted.

    Ex.: You're registered with A. B is hosting. You will (probably
    through a web interface) tell A to point your domain at [DNS server X
    and DNS server Y] at B.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 8, 2004

  3. JD

    JD Guest

    Thanks for the replies. Yup, I signed up for the domain only. Do I need a
    host right now to do what I want? (which is email and FTP forwarding for my
    domain). Don't know if it's the correct terminology.

    Since my registrar is with domainsatcost, if I don't have a host, can I just
    get them to point to my computer? Meaning I guess to my WAN IP? If so,
    how do I do that? Their site seems difficult to use for newbies. The
    fields I see when I log into my account are Nameserver 1 through 3. As well
    as Host 1 and Address. Then there's a DNS manager but I don't really know
    what to do in there ... doesn't seem to be an easy way to enter my WAN IP
    and get it to work.

    I just wanted to simply forward emails when people send them to my domain
    and use my FTP server (my computer) with a simple URL :
    ftp://user:p

    JD, Jul 8, 2004
  4. JD

    Plato Guest

    The next step is to find a host for your new domain name. I recommend:

    http://www.1gighost.com/

    Essentially you get a full service, no fine print, no BS account for as
    little as $5/month. Another cool thing, you can call the owner of the
    service for support.

    Plato, Jul 8, 2004
  5. something to plagiarise.

    Ed Jablonowski, Jul 8, 2004
  6. JD

    JD Guest

    So there's no way to do this without purchasing a web hosting service?

    JD, Jul 8, 2004
  7. I don't know, with respect to hosting it on your own machine. I've not
    done that.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 8, 2004
  8. Hi there,

    If you have a static ip address you need to email your domain host to
    let them know you want them to point the domain at your IP address, also
    let them know you wish to have the domain email forwarded to whatever
    email address you like.

    Emailing them takes the hassle out of sorting and adding this yourself,
    If they can't do it for you then you shouldn't be with them.

    If they cant do it, you can change to the company I use, they will host
    your domain for nothing and provide email forwarding services for
    nothing aswell. http://www.iserve.net.nz

    If don't have a staic Ip address then you can use
    http://www.dynamicdns.com to forward requests to your machine.

    Peter

    Peter Van Dijk, Jul 8, 2004
  9. JD

    JD Guest

    Thanks for the info. The second link you provided doesn't work
    (http://www.dynamicdns.com).
    The first link I see the free offer (http://www.iserve.co.nz/freeplan.php)
    but will they do the things I mentioned below like the FTP server
    forwarding?

    I have set up my IP as static through this link :
    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
    but my WAN IP provided by Rogers keeps on changing (it changed 3 times in
    the past month!)

    JD, Jul 8, 2004
  10. Is that "static" enough for your site to depend on?

    For five bucks a month, you can get a real host...

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 8, 2004