    BIOS and can't find anything that would obviously control this behavior.

    Where should I be looking to implement this change?
    WC

    WCH, Apr 30, 2004

  2. WCH

    philo Guest

    if your friend is not pulling you leg...then the reason the machine could be
    turned on at the power strip was simlpy becasue it was *not* shutting down
    properly. Normally...on an ATX machine...you need to turn it on and off
    with the switch...rather than the power strip.
    however...if win98 did not shut down properly...then the powersupply was
    probably not resetting...
    so basically the shut down problem was cured...thus requiring the proper
    use of the "on" switch...

    you did not do anything wrong...the computer is now merely operating
    correctly.

    if your friend is very thick headed and would not undertand that...
    tell him (or her) that XP has additional safety features <g>

    philo, Apr 30, 2004

  3. WCH

    Ghostrider Guest

    If this were a normal ATX-type motherboard, the operating
    system would be shutting it down without the intervention
    of the power switch unless there was a message that says
    something like "OK to shut down computer". Insofar as
    allowing the power strip to turn on the motherboard, it may
    depend on a jumper setting in the motherboard to allow for
    it. Check the motherboard manual. Changing a bios setting
    may also be involved along with the re-jumpering.

    Ghostrider, Apr 30, 2004
  4. WCH

    Buffalo Guest

    Look in the BIOS for an option to do that. Some have it.
    This is usually it has a loss of power, it will restart when power is again
    applied.
    May depend on how he ususally turns it off.

    Buffalo, May 1, 2004
  5. WCH

    WCH Guest

    I wondered about that setting. It asks what to do in the case of a power
    failure. The options are to: stay off, turn on or return to last state. I
    think it's set to return to last state. If I change that setting to turn
    on, would that make the PC power up if it has no power (when the master
    switch on the surge protector is off) and then gets power (when that master
    switch is turned on)? Worth a try.
    WC

    WCH, May 1, 2004
  6. WCH

    Toolman Tim Guest

    That might work, but probably not. A proper shut down is not the same as a
    power failure. I just tried it on mine, and it didn't work.

    On the other hand, if you can trick the computer into not shutting down
    correctly...ACPI (I think) can be disabled and that would leave the computer
    at the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen. Then turn off at
    the surge protector. Dunno, just guessing...

    Toolman Tim, May 1, 2004
  7. WCH

    Buffalo Guest

    If that doesn't work, you can always set it up to the 'Keyboard On' option
    so that all he has to do is press any key (or a specifed key or key combo in
    the keyboard) to turn on his PC.

    Buffalo, May 2, 2004
  8. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Changing the BIOS setting so that the PC powers up when lost power is
    restored (as opposed to Stay Off or Last State) did the trick. Now when the
    surge protector master switch is turned on, the PC turns on as well. Thanks
    for the input.
    WC

    WCH, May 3, 2004
  9. WCH