How to force DHCP client router to renew its lease?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JohnH., Feb 4, 2006.

  1. JohnH.

    JohnH. Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Cisco 2514 acting as an Internet gateway in a CCNA study lab
    setup. I have a Comcast cable modem connect to e1. The 2514 is
    configured as a DHCP client to get its IP addressing info from Comcast.
    This all works fine.

    Occasionally when I change configurations in the lab I want to force
    the 2514 to renew its DHCP lease info from Comcast. The only way I
    have been able to do this is to power cycle the cable modem. Then
    "shutdown", "no shutdown" interface e1. Simply shutting down
    the interface and bringing it back up does not cause the router to get
    a fresh IP address on e1 unless I power cycle the modem first.

    Is there a better way to do this? It seems to that there would be a
    direct unambiguous command to renew the DHCP client, something akin to
    "ipconfig /renew" in windows. But, I'm new to this and may not
    be thinking in the correct context.

    Thanks,
    John

    JohnH., Feb 4, 2006

  2. IOS router, you can go into conf-t mode under the interface and simply
    re-issue the "ip address dhcp command"
    This will then, as it is in running config, get excecuted at once.

    Try it, and give a yell, if its ok or not.

    HTH
    Martin Bilgrav

    Martin Bilgrav, Feb 4, 2006

  3. JohnH.

    JohnH. Guest

    Thanks, that did it. i copied the "ip address DHCP..." command into
    the clipboard, entered "no ip address." I then pasted the ip address
    dhcp command back from the clipboard hit enter and a new IP address was
    recieved from the ISP right away.

    JohnH., Feb 6, 2006
  4. no need to say "no ip address" first, just simply re-issue the "ip address
    dhcp"

    HTH
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Feb 7, 2006