how to fix folder that was named with period at end

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dan glenn, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. dan glenn

    dan glenn Guest

    (Win XP home)

    Somehow, I don't know how - maybe sloppy too-fast typing, I managed to name
    a folder so that it had a period (.) at the end of the file name. The name
    of the folder now shows as "Sarah2." in windows explorer. I can not select
    the file in the left-hand folder tree pane - when I try, I just get an error
    message about that location being unavailable. I can select it when it's in
    the right-hand pane, but can't open it (error about location being
    unavailable) or drag it to trash (error: Cannot delete file: Cannot read
    from the source file or disk), or rename it (same error). In a DOS window
    opened on the level just above this folder, I can see the folder as
    "Sarah2.", but cannot rename it or delete it either. (it just things the
    thing is a file, because of the period, and says 'File Not Found'.

    How can I get rid of this folder??? (I don't care what's in the folder.)

    thanks for any help,
    -dg

    dan glenn, Jun 4, 2004

  2. dan glenn

    Brian Guest

    try to use winrar or winzip to pack it and then try renaming or deleting it

    Brian, Jun 4, 2004

  3. dan glenn

    DC Guest

    Have you tried booting to pure DOS (use a Win98 boot floppy -- go to
    www.bootdisk.com to get one). A command prompt in WinXP is *not* DOS
    mode -- it is DOS emulation running under XP.

    Again, try pure DOS mode.

    DC, Jun 4, 2004
  4. dan glenn

    °Mike° Guest

    How did you manage to do that? I have tried to replicate
    it, and Windows refuses to allow a folder with a period
    at the end. I'm wondering if you have some none-ascii
    character in there, somewhere. Try this: get "deltree.exe"
    from a 98 system, if possible (or search the net) and
    place it in your system32 folder. Open a DOS box
    at the parent folder and type:

    deltree sarah*

    °Mike°, Jun 4, 2004
  5. dan glenn

    dan glenn Guest

    it

    Good idea. Didn't work - winzip just says 'can't access data' (or something
    like that) upon trying to create the archive.
    -dg

    dan glenn, Jun 4, 2004
  6. dan glenn

    dan glenn Guest

    I did have a Win98 boot floppy. Problem is I can't see the C: drive properly
    from it when I boot up to it. Has something to do with the NTFS of XP, I'd
    guess.
    -dg

    dan glenn, Jun 4, 2004
  7. dan glenn

    dan glenn Guest

    I don't know how I managed to do it - I know I was renaming it from
    something else and my fingers slipped on the keys (I was typing fast, had
    hit F2 to invoke the name change mode, typed fast, stumbling, then hit
    RETURN).

    I put deltree.exe in system32 and tried what you said. On first go, it acted
    just like it was working (finding the folder and confirming whether I wanted
    to delete it or not), but after answering "Y" to the prompt and checking, it
    was still there. But then I remembered I had a utility that drew on the
    screen the tree stucture of the current directory and all directories
    beneath it. I used this and it showed me (reminded me) of the folders I had
    in this problem folder. Then I used deltree.exe on each of these folders
    first, as in deltree "Sarah2~1\artists", since "artists" was one of the
    folders inside it. There were 3 other folders as well and deltree removed
    each of these lower-level folders successfully. Then I tried deltree on
    Sarah2~1 and this time it worked! It's gone for good now.

    Thanks for the idea of using deltree.exe. Why do you think MS did not
    included it with WinXP?

    -dg

    dan glenn, Jun 4, 2004
  8. dan glenn

    larry.fatcat Guest

    Interesting argument... not

    XP is excellent, stable, pretty, etc. and I would recommend it, but you
    could just try reinstalling Win98SE. Also check start, run, type-msconfig
    and check startup programs.

    larry.fatcat, Jun 4, 2004
  9. dan glenn

    Isaac Guest

    You can't give it fancy colors. Nor animations.

    Isaac, Jun 4, 2004
  10. dan glenn

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 07:56:26 GMT, in