    False. OEM supplies tend to be among the best, such as Delta, Lite-On,
    Enhance, and high-end Channel Well, and I've never seen deficient ones
    except in old e-Machines and some containing defective capacitors.

    Guest, Jun 8, 2006

  2. Doc

    John Doe Guest

    I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, considering one of
    the abrupt replies, but it's not easy.

    You say the power supply is "AMD certified" and the advertising says
    "Intel Certified / AMD Recommended"

    But after a tiny amount of research, I don't find any evidence that
    it's AMD recommended or Intel certified. About 30 power supply
    makers are listed on AMD's web site, but Rexus isn't one of them.
    Searching for "Intel certified" and "Rexus" produces no meaningful
    results.

    John Doe, Jun 8, 2006

  3. Doc

    Guest Guest

    AMD and Intel certifications are very low standards, practically
    meaningless, as shown by all the Deer and Powmax supplies approved by
    them. Only Nvidia's SLI certification may be worth anything.
    And why should they when Antec is but a marketer that produces nothing?
    Large OEMs instead deal directly with the manufacturers, and at least
    one of the OEMs
    you listed has used a company that supplies Antec: Channel Well.

    Guest, Jun 8, 2006
  4. Fair enough, but it seems that I have had just as many oem supplies die on
    me as I have had no name brands die... Just saying from my experince in
    working on computers in the last 10 years. To be totally honest though I
    can't remember that many systems with dead psu's. Most of the time if there
    is a problem with the psu it was the fan or it was hit by lightning.

    I guess my point is that just about any moderately priced psu will last as
    long as your computer is not obsolete. I've had the 350w psu that came with
    my $50 case for 3 years now on 24/7 with no problems except I had to change
    the fan about 6 months ago.

    - Mike

    Michael Kennedy, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Three of these PSUs are AMD certified, two are not:

    1. http://static.flickr.com/39/79711182_55eb38f55b.jpg
    2. http://static.flickr.com/41/75125024_161da61ad7.jpg
    3. http://static.flickr.com/38/75117436_1de7a3142d.jpg
    4. http://static.flickr.com/28/67715167_9880b9e1c4.jpg
    5. http://static.flickr.com/41/79709280_e68a4d0001.jpg

    Which are AMD certified and which are not?
    What is the power rating of each PSU?

    Do not top post, dammit. ;)

    larry moe 'n curly, Jun 9, 2006
  6. I'd guess 2,3 and 4 due to the larger heat sink.

    - Mike

    Michael Kennedy, Jun 9, 2006
  7. Doc

    kony Guest

    Not at all, the typical Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc, 300W
    PSU is better than it.

    OEMs tend to use accurately rated but no-frills units. It's
    beside the point though, a normal ATX supply cannot replace
    his proprietary supply.

    kony, Jun 9, 2006
  8. Doc

    kony Guest

    Completely untrue. Watt per watt, HP, Compaq, Dell and
    Gateway all use equivalent quality to an Antec.

    Antec isn't "high quality" though, merely upper mid-grade
    that is marketed hence more popular.

    kony, Jun 9, 2006
  9. Doc

    kony Guest

    Surge resistance and fan longevity are both factors in PSU
    quality. A dollar here for higher voltage rated parts, a
    dollar there for a filter, another dollar for a better
    fan... it all adds up, and all differentiates between them.

    kony, Jun 9, 2006
  10. Michael Kennedy wrote, by immorally top posting::
    Do you mean they're AMD certified? You didn't specify.

    And what is the power rating of each PSU? Hint: They range from
    200-550W.

    larry moe 'n curly, Jun 9, 2006
  11. Yes I meant that 2, 3 and 4 are AMD certified..

    Power rating... hmm well this is just a wild guess but I think that

    1 is a 200W
    2 is a 300W
    3 is a 400W
    4 is a 350W
    5 is probably some cheap 550W

    - Mike

    Michael Kennedy, Jun 9, 2006
  12. 1. 350W, not AMD recommended.
    Codegen. But your power estimate is probably much more realistic.
    2. 300W, AMD recommended.
    Key Mouse/MaxPower/Soyo. It actually did put out 300W when I tested it
    for ten minutes (I can't test longer -- my load resistors get too hot),
    but I cheated and paralleled a second diode for the +5.0V rail (empty
    space on the circuit board for it). Originally there was no EMI filter
    (or AM radio reception), but at least this PSU and the case it came in
    didn't cost me anything
    3. 300W, not AMD recommended.
    Delta DPS-300BB from an Acer computer. It managed to put out 380W, the
    limit of my test load resistance, so maybe by common standards it is a
    400W, especially because its filter capacitors are larger than those in
    any other 300W PSU I've seen, and the transformer is larger than normal
    despite operating at 95 KHz rather than the more common 60 KHz.
    $13-15. Kony can tell you more about this model PSU..
    4. 200W, not AMD recommended.
    Delta 200W NPS200PB from a Dell. The only tipoffs that this is not a
    350W are the small transformer (but this one runs at 100 KHz) and the
    470uF high voltage filter capacitors (too small for such well-made PSU
    rated for 350W).
    5. 550W (peak), AMD recommended.
    Q-Tec. Like the 200W Delta/Dell, its high voltage filters are 470uF.
    How did you know that this cheapo PSU was the one rated for 550W rather
    than 200W?

    larry moe 'n curly, Jun 10, 2006
  13. Doc

    JAD Guest

    ok well first you wet a finger and drab the case....then with your tongue
    you..............

    JAD, Jun 10, 2006
  14. Doc

    JAD Guest

    JAD, Jun 10, 2006
  15. 5. 550W (peak), AMD recommended.
    The 2 fans and the gold plating.. They always blow the numbers out of
    proportion on those for some reason.. I'd say its more like a 300W psu max..

    That one is really amd certified? Wow..

    - Mike

    Michael Kennedy, Jun 10, 2006
  16. *clarification... I'd say it shouldn't be rated for more than 300W...

    Michael Kennedy, Jun 10, 2006
  17. Doc

    kony Guest

    I still have a couple of those, one of them powering an
    overclocked Mobile Barton Athlon, the other in a dual PSU
    system with a 2nd, 240(?)W Delta. Good unit... Delta always
    uses HQ parts, targets for sustained current, and overall is
    just a tremendous bang for buck when you can get ahold of
    them in the grey market. Main limitation on this particular
    model is it's clearly optimized for 5V current instead of
    12V. There's that issue about needing the load on the 3V
    rail sometimes, too, but it seems a subjective thing to some
    of us...

    Understandably some people will scream bloody murder if
    their PSU acts dead, but otherwise I seldom want load
    resistors in the densely populated output area on the PCB if
    the system itself is loading it too.

    I'd take same wattage Delta over most brands. Did you see
    Anandtech's Computex coverage? 300W video cards... YIKES!
    http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2770

    I think my next built-from-scratch gaming rig will have 2
    Delta server PSU in it. Not PS2 though, ~ 5-1/4 x 5 x
    11-1/2 (ie - just big enough for a 120mm _rear_ fan). I can
    get 72A per 5V & 12V rails for $100 total
    http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?productid=484
    (really closer to $130 after factoring for time and parts
    to make a load-sharing board, essentially a minimalized
    redundant power board with added RC filters on it.).

    Found some double sided 3 oz. 0.093" copper clad on ebay,
    should be perfect for it... couldn't even find copper clad
    over 1/16" at Digikey/Mouser/Allied.

    Same 'site linked above has some of those 300W Deltas, or
    rather the Intel Server variant, DPS-300JB,
    http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?productid=2324
    but at this price-point I'd be contemplating a last-gen.
    400W Sparkle instead if I needed any PSU with beefy 5V rails
    in PS2 form. Although, it's also because I have spare
    Sparkles, like always picked up when the price was right...
    since I never get hung up on particular models rather than
    "what it is" vs. price.

    kony, Jun 10, 2006
  18. That's why I don't trust AMD PSU certification at all. 98% of the
    reviews also can't be trusted because they test at just half the rated
    power. So it's best to just pick something made by one of the best
    manufacturers, like Delta, Zippy/Emacs, Enhance, Lite-On, Seasonic,
    Fortron-Source, PC Power & Cooling, Win-tact, Etasis, or NMB/Mineba, or
    sold by Antec.

    larry moe 'n curly, Jun 10, 2006
  19. And no junk electrolytic capacitors. My Deltas contain only Rubycon,
    Nichicon, and Chemicon, none of the Fujyyu junk found in Antecs.
    I initially thought tha my Deltas were dead because they wouldn't start
    even when I attached a load resistor to the +5.0V rail, but they merely
    needed a load on the +3.3V as well. Another oddity was that I
    couldn't simply ground the green Power-On wire to turn it on but had to
    plug in the AC first and then ground that wire.
    My fastest graphics card is just a Radeon 9550. :(

    It seems that CPU power consumption has topped out, but how long before
    the same happens with graphics chips?
    That's an awesome project.

    larry moe 'n curly, Jun 11, 2006
  20. Doc

    kony Guest

    So overclock it till the wheels fall off?
    My most power hungry card at the moment is a volt-modded
    FX5900. I calculated that it should be using about 120W,
    but for all that power it can't do FSAA or AF so well. I
    strapped a ~ 1U all copper skt A 'sink on it and then began
    wondering if it needed stilts so it didn't break off at the
    AGP connector from the extra weight. I haven't been
    motivated to push the o'c on anything more valuable yet,
    beyond what coolbits allows.

    I'd expect it to happen right about when they realize there
    is no way to strap on a larger/better heatsink, though
    they've already gone beyond Intel in coming up with more
    elaborate heatpipes and custom 'sink designs to fit the
    allotted space in creative ways. I dont' know if it was the
    Anandtech article or elsewhere that I read it, but
    supposedly nVidia & ATI's next gen parts won't use as much
    power. I welcome that as I still like to avoid video or CPU
    over ~ 80W each unless it's only due to free performance
    boost from o'c.

    Maybe, but it also means the case will be a little over 10"
    wide (as I'd put them side-by-side horizontally) which seems
    a little big for a gaming system.

    kony, Jun 11, 2006