    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Barb Bowman, Mar 27, 2006

  2. John

    Marshalx Guest

    Jane, but not plain ;) 64 bits
    ***ive got some batteries jane,
    come and show me your bits :)

    Marshalx, Mar 27, 2006

  3. John

    John Barnes Guest

    Why are they trying to kill newsgroups. Could it be because the quality of
    their products has been going downhill the last two releases? I see
    consumer newsgroups filled with problems and complaints, and I stopped
    upgrading annually, which I did religiously for years. I have too many 2005
    versions sitting on the shelf because they were a downgrade.

    BTW I see that AMD64 with virtualization which you said you were awaiting,
    is pretty firm now for June 6. The one feature which seems up in the air is
    if it will be DDR2 667 or 800 when it is released.

    John Barnes, Mar 27, 2006
  4. I don't actually believe they are trying to kill newsgroups, though I _do_
    think there are those within MS who wouldn't mind. But they do seem to be
    having a lot of issues with them lately, and some of the steps they've taken
    wrt newsgroups have definitely not done any of us any good.

    Yes, I see the new AMD procs coming. We'll see. My next box may need to be
    an Intel.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Heck, I've seen that on XP x64 eventually. Seems to be a video problem
    occasionally.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 27, 2006
  6. John

    John Barnes Guest

    Seems backward. I always read you use your Intel in the winter as a
    supplemental heater and the AMD in the summer when you want less heat.

    John Barnes, Mar 28, 2006
  7. Grin. Yes, indeed. But I really should have at least one Intel x64 box here,
    so I think that's the next one.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 28, 2006

  8. Errm, they do let you install legacy software, and legacy installs, it's
    called 32bit emulation.

    It's Legacy, Legacy (i.e. 2 generations, Windows 3.1 era 16bit apps that
    are not supported). Seriously, I would consider why a company is still
    using a installer from Windows 3.1 era, if their installer is so outdated,
    then chances are, they have also paid little attention to their main
    product for the last 12 years, and may be a security can of worms....

    I think Microsoft HAD to give us 32bit emulation in x64, but giving 16bit
    was just carrying too much baggage, and the time is right to ditch it, and
    make people move on...

    Mark Gillespie, Mar 28, 2006
  9. John

    Gary Mount Guest

    My 32 bit o/s (Windows Server 2003) says its version 5.2. Since I don't have
    a 64 bit processor I know i don't have 64 bit anything (physicaly anyway, as
    I have a 64 bit type in my .NET software development stuff).

    Gary Mount, Mar 30, 2006
  10. Which means you're on SP1 of Windows Server. The key is that if it's "XP" it
    is 32-bit if 5.1, and 64bit if 5.2. Since the x64 Edition is based on Server
    code (that is, 5.2.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 30, 2006
  11. Seems backward. I always read you use your Intel in the winter as a
    Funny how the opposite used to be true. A few years ago my office went
    through a half dozen AMDs--they all went up in smoke (some literally) :)

    Homer J. Simpson, Mar 31, 2006