    useless junk from the old registry to the new one despite me explicitly
    telling it to only do Quicken. Never again!

    Graham.

    Graham, Mar 24, 2006

  2. John

    Sam Crawford Guest

    Since this thread is so far off topic here's my 2 cents worth.

    The deal killers that keep me from using x-64 exclusively are the ability to
    run Act! and my Blackberry desktop. I'm not sure if that makes me a
    consumer or business user. It is easy to blame the software makers for
    having 16 bit installers but Microsoft should find a way to help those
    trying to install software we take for granted.

    Sam Crawford, Mar 25, 2006

  3. John

    John Barnes Guest

    Are both the 32-bit and 64-bit Vista going to drop support for 16-bit? I
    would assume so, and that will probably result in lots of help desk calls
    from angry purchasers and great employment opportunities in India.

    John Barnes, Mar 25, 2006
  4. No John, 16-bit software runs in Vista x86, you might have run it in
    compatibility mode though.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 25, 2006
  5. If it says Version 5.1 then it's 32bit
    If it says Version 5.2 then it's 64bit (x64)

    Mark Gillespie, Mar 25, 2006
  6. John

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks Andre. That probably means that most computers will have that
    version installed unless the customer specifically requests 64-bit. At this
    point most consumers won't benefit from 64-bit anyway.

    John Barnes, Mar 25, 2006

  7. I'd say "business," as that's where those two items have the most
    significant utility.

    Certainly, as those manufacturers are solely responsible for their own
    business and technical decisions.

    Why should Microsoft be expected to support the products of other
    (other competing) companies who refuse to support their own products?
    Your expectation is more than a little unrealistic, from a business
    point of view. (Maybe you just bumped yourself back into the "consumer"
    class.)

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
    chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
    for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

    Bruce Chambers, Mar 25, 2006
  8. and even more, the graphical portion of WinVer will show "Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition"

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 25, 2006
  9. John

    Sam Crawford Guest

    I hope that by the time Vista rolls out Microsoft has figured out how to let
    us install legacy software. If not, they will have a difficult time
    convincing both business and consumers to upgrade.

    If they do figure it out, then I hope they will patch x-64. If not, I'm
    afraid that x-64 will remain a hobbyist/enthusiast operating system.

    I'm not trying to start a flame war--just trying to be realistic.

    Sam Crawford, Mar 25, 2006
  10. Keep in mind one important criteria for Vista Logo acceptance: the
    software/hardware must work in 64-bit. Note that nothing is said about
    32-bit.

    I think we'll see a much greater penetration of 64-bit both early and late
    in Vista. And yes, there will be 16 bit programs still out there. But I'm no
    longer convinced that they will be that big a deal by the time MS finally
    gets around to having Vista on store shelves.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 25, 2006
  11. MS could thunk 16 bit software to work. They made a decision, and I think
    it's the right decision, not to do so. At some point, providing legacy
    support simply cripples new stuff.

    If you really need Act! to run on x64 - load it in a VM.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 25, 2006
  12. If have 16 bit programs, you probably won't even want to upgrade in the
    first place.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 25, 2006
  13. John

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry Andre, but considering the sophistication of this group, we have had a
    lot of inquiries about installing 16 bit programs over the last year,
    especially July, Aug last year. From the looks of the postings now, most
    everyone is waiting for Vista. Many of the old regulars are gone.

    John Barnes, Mar 26, 2006
  14. well, there can be some legacy LOB apps, for example, that cause problems
    and can't be done without. But there _are_ workarounds. But at least this
    latest build actually works for me, so I may move full time to it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 26, 2006
  15. John

    Steve Jain Guest

    Exactly!
    (20+ year old BIOS/IRQ archtecture in PCs)

    Steve Jain, Mar 26, 2006
  16. Some of our regulars (and a lot of newbies) are having problems finding the
    NG. MS, in its latest attempt to kill newsgroups, has reshuffled the web
    interface and the 64bit newsgroup is not easily discoverable from the web.
    We don't see it, since we all use NNTP, but there are lots of others who
    don't.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 26, 2006
  17. John

    John Barnes Guest

    :-((

    John Barnes, Mar 27, 2006
  18. If you are in the beta, grab a hold of 5342, the performance is well
    improved, window animations and just the general feel of the OS is faster
    and more reponsive. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 27, 2006
  19. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 27, 2006
  20. BTDT. ;)

    It's the first one I can use because of my environment. Have it on one
    machine now, will give it some time before I go to it on the Ferrari.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 27, 2006