How to Fax without a Landline???

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dan Jensen, Apr 16, 2005.

  1. Dan Jensen

    Larc Guest

    | > Getting rid of your landline eliminates the ability to fax normaly, as you
    | > know,
    | > I gather the landline connection is part of your normal phoneline, so why
    | > not just continue to use it that way for faxing only?
    | >

    | Great question... the truth of the matter is that I recently switched to
    | high-speed cable. I come to realize that 90% of our calling is now done
    | through our cell phones and we are paying $25+ a month for the landline.
    | This surfaced the question, why not save $300 a year. I started to talk
    | to others who have already gone down this path. It sounds the only major
    | problem with getting rid of the landline is how to fax.
    |
    | It looks like the leading possibility is using an online service. I am
    | still very hopeful that there might be a way to get either the computer or
    | all-in-one to the cell phone.

    Since you now have high-speed cable, you could save about $120 instead
    of $300 by going with a VOIP such as Vonage and keeping the ability to
    send and receive faxes via phone. I did that recently and have been
    very pleased with it. Since I had been using the cell phone for 100%
    of my long distance calls, I was able to save further by cutting my
    level of cell service and using Vonage for most long distance.

    Larc

    Larc, Apr 16, 2005

  2. Dan Jensen

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Dan Jensen"
    Not unless you have an analog phone.

    DevilsPGD, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Go to the following link and check out the http://sandman.com/pouches.html
    "Cellular POTS Adapters" a little way down the page.

    With luck they will have one that fits your cellular phone. Rather than
    pluging in a "Ma Bell" style phone into the adaptor you would plug in your
    fax machine.

    GlowingBlueMist, Apr 16, 2005
  4. Rats, I did more reading and it appears the units will not support a fax
    feed after all, or at least the one I read the docs on. Sorry.

    GlowingBlueMist, Apr 16, 2005
  5. Dan Jensen

    Fitz Guest

    Efax has a free incoming fax option if you receive less than 25 faxes a
    month. I think it's 25. Any more than that and you have to sign up for a
    paid account.

    Fitz, Apr 17, 2005
  6. That's right. Problem is, you can't control incoming faxes - if some idiot
    decides to send you a 26-page fax then bang goes your free account. It
    happened to me so now I've dropped Efax.

    John Rampling, Apr 17, 2005
  7. Dan Jensen

    Fitz Guest

    You are correct. However I've had 3 free efax accounts for several years
    now. I've only received two 2 page faxes not meant for me. I contacted
    efax and they deleted those faxes from my monthly quota. But as I said, you
    can sign up for send2fax.com to send and receive faxes. I just didn't like
    paying to receive faxes so I used the efax accounts.

    Fitz, Apr 17, 2005
  8. Although I don't believe the LG VX4500 has the capability to send faxes you
    can purchase mobiles with this feature. I would suggest you contact your
    local telecommunications provider.

    Ray Chapman

    Rayumond Chapman, Apr 27, 2005
  9. Dan Jensen

    Jim T. Guest

    For along time I had a service that was free then thru which you sent
    and received faxes via the internet. A google search would probably
    show you several of these.

    Jim T., Apr 27, 2005
  10. Dan Jensen

    George Guest

    You may also want to review why you use a fax and if there is some reason to
    keep using it. In my case it was because of the "fax it to me" requests. I
    would politely ask if they had email and if I could email it to them. That
    was usually greeted with "you can do that!, I wish we could get rid of our
    fax machine too..." Or when asking if the sender could email something I
    would get a happy "yes, I wish more people would ask for that..." So after a
    while I was able to simply unplug the fax machine and cancel the landline..

    George, Apr 27, 2005
  11. Dan Jensen

    Peter Guest

    It may not happen soon, but with the advent of VOIP and internet phones
    there is talk of the possibility of faxing over cable. The technology is
    there and my cable provider, for one, is already leaking snippets to the
    local media regarding this.

    Peter, Apr 27, 2005
  12. Dan Jensen

    George Guest

    Yes, but my point is why in 2005 do we need to "fax" anything? As I
    described most of it simply seems to be because that is what was done in the
    past.

    George, Apr 28, 2005
  13. Dan Jensen

    HankG Guest

    Sometimes, email just won't do. The recipient requires a specific document
    or filled form. Recently, we had the need due to time pressure, to fax an
    application to the insurer. Although I have fax capability on my computer,
    I have disabled the phone modem as a safety precaution. I do not own a
    scanner, so it was off to Staples, anyway. Cost a buck for the one page
    document--not a high price to pay, nor was it inconvenient (5 minutes away).

    If you really need to fax, and only have a cell phone, it is possible to do
    so. I have seen 'road warriors' whose cars were equiped with laptop,
    printer, scanner, and fax. The computer and fax were connected via cell
    phone.

    HankG

    HankG, Apr 28, 2005