    Is there a way I could use my cell phone (LG VX4500) with either my printer
    (HP psc 2210 all-in-one) or connect it to the modem of my computer (Gateway
    500XL)?

    Dan Jensen, Apr 16, 2005

  2. No. Faxing requires the use of an analogue fax modem attached to a
    land-based phone line. How on earth you thought you could attach a mobile to
    a printer and use it as a fax machine, I really don't know. Fax data signals
    need to be carried by cables they don't (TTBOMK) travel very well through
    air...

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Dan Jensen

    DosFreak Guest

    I've seen Fax software for dial-up modems...usually it came with the
    software for the modem like my parent's 3Com v.92 modem.

    Just search around on google "fax software + modem" or somesuch.

    I wonder if it's possible to do this on broadband using voip? hehhehehe.

    DosFreak, Apr 16, 2005
  4. Dan Jensen

    theyak Guest

    http://www.hushmail.com/services-securefax

    You can either pay to keep a featureless landline or pay for this kind
    of service... Or run a line from your neighbor's house.

    theyak, Apr 16, 2005
  5. Dan Jensen

    Fitz Guest

    I use a free efax.com account to receive faxes and a low cost alternative of
    send2fax.com to send faxes. Works fine. Very reliable faxing.

    Fitz, Apr 16, 2005
  6. Dan Jensen

    JANA Guest

    There are some models of cell phones that can be used as a mobile fax modem.
    You would be required to have the phone's optional interface connectors, and
    software package. You will need to use a computer, connected to the cell
    phone, as if it was a modem.

    I have a laptop where I am doing this with a Motorola V270c Travelmate cell
    phone. I can also use the cell phone as a dialup modem for internet
    services.

    Take care that cell phones are expensive to use for data services. Before
    getting involved like this, it is best to call your local telephone company
    and make enquiries about their fees for these services.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    Since everyone in the family has cell phones with voice mail, I am playing
    with the idea of getting rid of the landline. One thing that is holding me
    back is how to fax. I am a little reluctant to use online services as most
    the time I am sending personal information.

    JANA, Apr 16, 2005
  7. Dan Jensen

    WTC Guest

    My cell phone can receive and send faxes, and then you attach it to the
    computer to print the fax.

    WTC, Apr 16, 2005
  8. Dan Jensen

    Robert Baer Guest

    I suppose you use a ouiji board for the net...

    Robert Baer, Apr 16, 2005
  9. Dan Jensen

    Robert Baer Guest

    Not true.
    Fax signals have been sent by radio for over 40 years.
    Thers is at least one story of a FAX signal being sent via a light
    beam (early 1800s).

    Robert Baer, Apr 16, 2005
  10. Dan Jensen

    johnf Guest

    Getting rid of your landline eliminates the ability to fax normaly, as you
    know,
    I gather the landline connection is part of your normal phoneline, so why
    not just continue to use it that way for faxing only?

    johnf, Apr 16, 2005
  11. Dan Jensen

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <hrZ7e.82548$t%-media.phx> "Miss
    Well, in fairness it's not just a printer, it's a multifunction device
    which includes a "fax' feature.

    In reality, most of the HP multifunction units I've played with don't
    really support faxing natively, they simply instruct the PC to pass the
    scanned document to a fax client. However, I haven't bothered to look
    up this model, it might have an integrated fax component (modem).

    More importantly, many cell phones are capable of acting as modems
    supporting both modem and fax style data calls. There is no modem in
    the phone itself, it passes the digital data and the conversion to
    analog happens on the cell company's side.

    All that being said, unless the multifunction can handle an external
    modem, it's not possible to use it in this way without a PC. With a PC
    in the middle and an appropriate datacable or bluetooth capable phone,
    it shouldn't be a problem.

    --
    Like a lot of husbands throughout history, Mr. Webster
    would sit down and try to talk to his wife.

    DevilsPGD, Apr 16, 2005
  12. Dan Jensen

    Al Dykes Guest

    Why do you use efax for incomming calls. Is there something efax does
    that send2fax doesn't ?

    Al Dykes, Apr 16, 2005
  13. Dan Jensen

    herm Guest

    What pnone/carrier do you use?

    herm, Apr 16, 2005
  14. Dan Jensen

    herm Guest

    Nice site--Thank You!

    herm, Apr 16, 2005
  15. Efax is fine BUT they pulled the plug on my free service when I overran my
    monthly allowance for received faxes. That meant either paying or switching
    to another provider. Paying was out of the question because Efax is based in
    the USA and I live in the UK so all calls would have been international and
    the cost would have been crippling. Switching to another supplier (and in
    fact I couldn't find one as good) would have meant losing my fax number that
    I had given to all my contacts. Since I need a landline anyway I dropped
    Efax and reverted to faxing through my modem.

    John Rampling, Apr 16, 2005
  16. Dan Jensen

    Dan Jensen Guest

    Verizon

    Dan Jensen, Apr 16, 2005
  17. Dan Jensen

    Dan Jensen Guest

    In hoping for further thoughts... the good news is that this all-in-one is
    able to send a fax without having to go through the computer. It just
    needs the phone line. Is there anyway to connect the all-in-one phone jack
    to the cell phone?

    Dan Jensen, Apr 16, 2005
  18. Dan Jensen

    Dan Jensen Guest

    Getting rid of your landline eliminates the ability to fax normaly, as you
    Great question... the truth of the matter is that I recently switched to
    high-speed cable. I come to realize that 90% of our calling is now done
    through our cell phones and we are paying $25+ a month for the landline.
    This surfaced the question, why not save $300 a year. I started to talk
    to others who have already gone down this path. It sounds the only major
    problem with getting rid of the landline is how to fax.

    It looks like the leading possibility is using an online service. I am
    still very hopeful that there might be a way to get either the computer or
    all-in-one to the cell phone.

    Dan Jensen, Apr 16, 2005
  19. Dan Jensen

    johnf Guest

    Good reply, as you didn't previously mention before (I don't think) that you
    wanted to get rid of the landline & its cost.
    I also have cable, so just hooked into my normal phoneline & ran a cable &
    socket to the vicinity of my PC.

    johnf, Apr 16, 2005
  20. Dan Jensen

    WTC Guest

    Telus Mobility and a Motorola Timeport (around 5 years old)

    WTC, Apr 16, 2005