How to execute AT commands on Hyperterminal on XP?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Dandelion, May 2, 2006.

  1. Dandelion

    Dandelion Guest

    I'm trying to practice a few AT commands on my modem as
    described on this page:
    http://www.mcdermottroe.com/kb/howto/hypertrm.php .

    I believe the page is for Win9x system. I have an XP box.
    My modem is an onboard Lucent Winmodem. It uses IRQ 21.

    Once I run Hyperterminal and start a new connection. On its
    'connect to' dialog page, the 'connect using' options
    include

    1. Lucent Win Modem
    2. COM1
    3. COM2
    4. COM3
    5. TCP/IP

    The obvious choice would be 1. But then it asks me a number
    to dial out. Not what I want. The other options are
    unlikely, but I tried. None allows me to type AT command
    into Hyperterminal. How can I do it?

    A side. It's strange for me to see the modem is using IRQ21
    instead of the familiar COM ports. So I guess a modem isn't
    restricted to using IRQ 1 to 4 only.

    Dandelion, May 2, 2006

  2. Dandelion

    linker3000 Guest

    The modem will appear as a COM port and if you find and select the right
    one, hyperterminal will abandon all ideas of wanting you to input a
    phone number.

    Try each COM port in turn, setting the comms parameters to something
    like 115200bps, 8-bit, no parity, 1 stop bit.

    Remember that the modem may not be setup to echo commands sent to it, so
    your first run of test commands should be:

    [ENTER][ENTER]
    AT [ENTER]
    ATE1V1 [ENTER]
    AT [ENTER]

    The first two command lines help the modem work out what data speed you
    are using.

    ATE1V1 turns on command echoing (E1) and verbose status reporting (V1)

    The last 'AT' should return 'OK'.

    Have fun - try some commands like:

    ATI1 (up to ATI9)

    AT+FCLASS=?

    ATDT 3434

    ATA

    All followed by ENTER

    linker3000, May 3, 2006

  3. Dandelion

    Patty Guest

    Newer motherboards, such as the one I have, Asus A7N8X-E, have a BIOS
    function called APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller) mode that
    gives the system many more IRQs to use. My system shows 23 available IRQs
    at this time and my modem is using IRQ 16. This function can be disabled
    in the BIOS and then you'd have the standard number of IRQs with sharing.

    Patty

    Patty, May 3, 2006