    How do I get rid of Win ME? Do I have to reformat and use factory disk to
    put win 98se back in again or just dump ME by itself?

    I don't know how to dump ME!! (signed: beginner)

    *619, Sep 13, 2003

  2. *619

    °Mike° Guest

    Clean Reinstall
    http://www.netpathway.com/~kramer/reinstall.html

    Learn to upgrade reinstall install troubleshoot microsoft windows
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

    How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition
    or Repartition a Hard Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;255867

    Unable to Delete a Partition or Logical DOS Drive Using the Fdisk Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;261473

    Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;263044

    °Mike°, Sep 13, 2003

  3. *619

    Boomer Guest

    *619 said:
    Not sure if this will help you:
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 272159
    How to Uninstall Windows Millennium Edition

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q272159

    Boomer, Sep 13, 2003
  4. *619

    Mellowed Guest

    For what it is worth, my Win ME installation works like a champ when
    installed on a newly Formatted HD. I'm running a PII-400 with 384mb RAM.

    : Have installed win ME over win98se. Computer is running like
    "crap"--system
    : freezes, not enough memory to run"scandisk",etc.
    : Want to go back to Win 98se (factory settings).
    :

    Mellowed, Sep 13, 2003
  5. *619

    DC Guest

    Yeah, until you actually try to *do* something with it. }:O)

    DC, Sep 13, 2003
  6. *619

    Richard Guest

    *619 wrote:>>
    probably you installed a full version and not an upgrade. They are
    different.
    what you should do now is to start over from scratch and reinstall ME.
    if you still want 98se, you'll probably have to reformat the disk in order
    for it to install properly.

    Richard, Sep 14, 2003
  7. *619

    Shep© Guest

    If the ME update/Install appears in the Control Panel/Add Remove
    Programs and when you installed it you chose to back up the present
    install you can just remove it like any other program.
    HTH :)

    Shep©, Sep 14, 2003
  8. *619

    Laths Guest

    Windows ME is a much more hungry Os than 98SE, so get more memory. Also wipe
    these two buggers off your system, just name them .old
    drvwppqt.vxd
    drvwq117.vxd
    They ship with 98SE and are of no use.
    They can cause all sorts of problems, with certain mobos.

    Laths, Sep 14, 2003
  9. *619

    Mellowed Guest

    Well, I don't know what that something should be. I do use PowerPoint,
    Office 2000, Scanner, Fax, Digital Camera downloading, Photo Albums, Excel
    and many other programs regularly. What is it that I should do that I don't
    do to make it crash?

    However, I do keep the system maintained regularly with HD Valet, Spybot,
    Adware, Cookie Pal, and everything else learned from this NG. It seems to
    work.

    : >
    : > For what it is worth, my Win ME installation works like a champ when
    : > installed on a newly Formatted HD. I'm running a PII-400 with 384mb
    RAM.
    :
    : Yeah, until you actually try to *do* something with it. }:O)
    :
    : --
    : DC
    :
    : Microsoft is not the answer, it is the question. The answer is NO.

    Mellowed, Sep 14, 2003
  10. *619

    PhilGreg Guest

    ==> :) For you, my son and 6 other ppl in the Northern hemisphere Me
    works.

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 14, 2003
  11. *619

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Yeah, I have it on 3 PCs here and it works well. I am told WinME might
    be a tad more hardware sensitive than 98SE so maybe that's why it has
    such a chequered reputation.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 14, 2003
  12. *619

    PhilGreg Guest

    ==> You're prolly right. I heard somewhere, that M$ finally released
    an SP for it. Is that true?

    --
    Phil

    \\\///
    ( o o )
    --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------

    PhilGreg, Sep 14, 2003
  13. *619

    Mellowed Guest

    I just searched the MS site and could find no mention of an SP.

    :
    : : > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:53:23 -0400, "PhilGreg" <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : > >
    : > >: > >
    : > >==> :) For you, my son and 6 other ppl in the Northern hemisphere
    : Me
    : > >works.
    : >
    : > Yeah, I have it on 3 PCs here and it works well. I am told WinME
    : might
    : > be a tad more hardware sensitive than 98SE so maybe that's why it
    : has
    : > such a chequered reputation.
    : >
    : > jd
    :
    : ==> You're prolly right. I heard somewhere, that M$ finally released
    : an SP for it. Is that true?
    :
    : --
    : Phil
    :
    : \\\///
    : ( o o )
    : --------oOOO-- ( )--OOOo------
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

    Mellowed, Sep 14, 2003
  14. *619

    Barry OGrady Guest

    deltree c:\windows

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Sep 14, 2003
  15. *619

    Barry OGrady Guest

    No need to reformat. Just deltree c:\windows.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Sep 14, 2003
  16. *619

    AlanG Guest

    From the CLI.
    Then go out for the night while you wait for it to do it's stuff.

    --
    Alan G
    "The corporate life [of society] must be

    AlanG, Sep 14, 2003
  17. *619

    Shep© Guest

    OP reported via e-mail that my solution worked :p

    Shep©, Sep 14, 2003