    and the other through the usb.

    Regards..
    Jonathan

    Peace2Peace, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Peace2Peace

    Miro Guest

    Why are they not both connected to a hardware router via ethernet ?

    ADSL >>> ROUTER >>> HUB ----- PC 1
    |------ PC 2

    |<------------------------------>|

    Can be bought as an all-in-one

    Miro, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Peace2Peace

    Peace2Peace Guest

    Hi Miro

    Because I don't have a hub and I am wondering if there is a software
    that I can use to restrict the bandwidth on my computer or both.

    So by using say 4 port hub or 10/100, how then can I divide it equally
    between the two computers? I know local network is capable of 10/100 and
    will be equally giving a 10/100 access.

    However, I am not networking locally the two computer but need to split
    the internet access bandwidth of 512kbps into more or less two.

    Regards..
    Jonathan

    Peace2Peace, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Peace2Peace

    Chet Guest

    Why would you want to restrict a computer to 1/2 the bandwidth during the
    times when it is the only one accessing the 'net? If you let each computer
    use as much as it wants you will find that there are not too many times that
    one has to slow down for the other.

    Chet, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Peace2Peace

    [BnH] Guest

    Have a look @ NetLimiter.

    =bob=

    [BnH], Oct 21, 2003
  6. Peace2Peace

    Peace2Peace Guest

    Hi Chet

    Actually I just need to limit one because when I do download on my I hog
    all the bandwidth and my wife can't answer her travia questions quick
    enough.. hehehe

    Regards..
    Jonathan

    Peace2Peace, Oct 21, 2003
  7. Peace2Peace

    Peace2Peace Guest

    Hi [BnH]

    I will. Thanks.

    Regards..
    Jonathan

    Peace2Peace, Oct 21, 2003
  8. Peace2Peace

    Sandgroper Guest

    Are you a whacko or something ? , maybe you are just too cheap to buy a
    hub and router and want to download some freebie to just connect the 2
    machines to ADSL

    What you are suggesting is just outright stupid , all you need is a
    router , hub and extra NIC and when the both machines are accessing the
    net at the same time , the download/uploads are intermixed so that you
    don't lose any bandwidth , in fact you wouldn't even notice the
    difference between using 1 machine or 2 machines.

    Maybe if you saved up some of your "night outs on the piss" money you
    could afford to pay for a router , hub and NIC , they are not exactly
    **that** expensive.

    Sandgroper, Oct 21, 2003
  9. Peace2Peace

    Peace2Peace Guest

    It seem that using a hub doesn't solve the problem my friend.
    I will be a whacko if I go buy something that isn't going to serve
    my purpose.

    Regards..
    Jonathan

    Peace2Peace, Oct 21, 2003
  10. Peace2Peace

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    This is completely pulled out of your ass. My network looks similar to
    this:

    Linksys WAP11 (wireless access point)

    Linksys router w/4 port switch --> out to cable connection

    4 port switch

    There is one wireless machine, and 5 desktops on this network. As I sit
    here right now, there are only two machines accessing the internet. This
    one, and one in the other room, used by my brother. He is logged into
    Kazaa and is uploading to 4 people and downloading from 2 people. My
    cable connection is around 350 KB (kilobytes) per second usually, with
    low traffic times it bounces up to almost twice that (around 600 - 650
    KB/sec, yes, hate me, I'm like one of 5 people in my town with cable
    access). Despite having this fast of a connection right now, doing
    /anything/ crawls online. That one machine with Kazaa running has
    absolutely destroyed any resemblence of performance.

    I assume this is also the case with the OP. He says he goes to download
    stuff and it hogs the connection. Odds are the 512 ADSL is 512
    kbits/sec, which is only 64 kilobytes per second. 3 or 4 downloads can
    suck that up like nothing.

    OP:
    The best solution I can suggest for yourself is if you are using P2P
    networks and they are killing your bandwith, use their options to limit
    how much bandwith they can use. It is what I have had to do with
    machines on my house, as one heavy sharing machine can take down my cable
    connection.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 21, 2003
  11. Peace2Peace

    Miro Guest

    Dont waste your energy. Just buy a router with a hub onboard.

    Miro, Oct 21, 2003
  12. Peace2Peace

    budgie Guest

    and how does that solution arrange sharing of the bandwidth the way
    the OP wanted? I'm facing the same issue here - ADSL with a DSL-504
    and three machines. Two go feral d/l-ing anything that stands still,
    and the third machine stalls. Yay, brilliant - not!

    That's why I will be looking into NetLimiter, in case it can bring
    some sort of equity to sharing a broadband connection.

    budgie, Oct 21, 2003
  13. Peace2Peace

    Michael-NC Guest

    I have 5 machines on my network and the one that is using P2P is throttled
    to 12KB/s upload and 96KB/s download. At that setting, I don't see any
    issues with the other machines. If I set the upload any higher, the other
    connections go in the dumper.

    Michael-NC, Oct 21, 2003
  14. Peace2Peace

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Exactly. I don't even have issues with the download limits, I leave that
    unlimited, but the uploads kill the service. Sending files at 12KB or 16KB
    leaves very litle room for anything else going upstream. This means that I
    get odd lag during online gaming, and web surfing can bog to a crawl since
    there is little room left going upstream to send the HTTP requests plus the
    overhead of the connections to the web servers.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 21, 2003
  15. Peace2Peace

    TV Slug Guest

    And to add to what he said, excessive upload can kill your DOWNLOAD speed
    because of the ACKs getting stuck waiting to go through the upload channel.

    TV Slug, Oct 25, 2003
  16. Peace2Peace

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Exactly. The other side doesn't know you've receieved the packets and are
    ready for more, so everything comes to a crawl because of limited upload
    speed.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 25, 2003
  17. Peace2Peace

    TV Slug Guest

    I went to try it and it crashed first and every other time I launched it.
    :( Not saying that it's bad, just that it didn't want to work on MY system.

    TV Slug, Oct 26, 2003
  18. Peace2Peace

    Peace2Peace Guest

    My P4 2.4GIG notebook run on WinXP Home Edition
    My adsl router is web excel and I connect mine through the network card
    plugin. My wife who doesn't need to restrict her bandwidth just run
    through the USB plugin.

    NetLimiter work great for me so far.

    Regards..
    Jonathan